No matter how cool superblack activated charcoal food looks, it's a bad idea

so i shouldn’t try this cocktail to cure my hangovers?
http://www.liquor.com/recipes/black-magic/#gs.1h6317Q

Dunno, and that’s a good question, but most medicines contain only a barely visible speck of active ingredient, and activated charcoal is freakishly good at its job.

You might not notice your antidepressant being temporarily at 80% strength, but you might very well notice the same thing happening to your birth control! Eventually.

-spits out yesterday’s ice cream-

1 Like

Have a “research” on me, Papasan. Make it a double. You’ve earned it.

2 Likes

Double-Blind-Drunk experiments are not allowed!

3 Likes

19 years ago, being too lazy to “google it” precluded the need for birth control.

BaDoomChing! Ladies and germs, I’m here all week!

2 Likes

Well then I guess it’s a triple… but I’m not sending Uber to get him home.

1 Like

He’d be safer driving himself.

Oh, Uber! How thou hast upended the Universe!

1 Like

While agreeing that taking activated charcoal for fun or as a health supplement is generally a bad idea…

Will someone who is less busy than I am look up how well dairy inhibits activated charcoal’s effectiveness, how that mechanism works, and if it would be possible to create a super black ice cream that would not possibly be contraindicated for medications? :wink:

I’m still wary of the ice cream here, but I’m curious about this.

1 Like

Correct! heeheehee

The best citation lead I have after 5 minutes is USP DI: drug information for the health care professional, 22nd ed. Greenwood Village, CO: Micromedex; 2002;1:848-51, but I don’t have that.

Hm, a finger or two of some addition peer review couldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, drinking stuff that’s been filtered through activated charcoal is fine unless the filter was damaged, because the charcoal (and whatever it pulled out of the liquid) stays in the filter. It’s only if you’re eating/drinking the charcoal directly that you get these problems.

Am I to infer from this article’s mention of ““Leather-Aged” Cocktails and Spirits” that there are people out there effectively running solvent extractions on bits of authentic dead cow rind; and then drinking the results?

Do chromium salts taste good the way lead salts do or something?

1 Like

I set out to replicate findings last night, but seem to have lost all my data.
Oh well, there’s still tonight.

2 Likes

2 pulling out or not

3 correct

I’m jealous. I didn’t eat a huge amount of grapefruit pre-sertraline, but now I can’t I really want to…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.