No-one seriously hurt in crash that sliced car in half

Yup. Few years ago some idiot teenager pulled a U turn from the far right lane, and of course I was in her blind spot (which she didn’t check).

My only injury was a burn from the airbag deploying. Car totaled.

2 Likes

What was the make and model of the vehicle that didst shear the opposing auto in half? That might be a car worth owning.

And what was the make and model of the car that was sheared in twain? I wouldst deign to avoid that purchase.

3 Likes

Um… RTFA?

Just quoting.

1 Like

Anyone with a basic physics education knows that (a) kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity and (b) friction on ice is more or less constant. I had a lift once on a cold day from an ex-army driving instructor- a guy who had trained instructors. He was travelling at about 5 mph down a road in town when the car slid sideways down the camber and stopped against the kerb. We proceeded very slowly till we reached a salted main road. He remarked “any speed over a fast walk is dangerous on black ice.” I decided to remember this. 50mph is 100 times the k.e. of 5mph, but you have exactly the same amount of control.

1 Like

Definitely a good thing.

And if had stayed behind them. I’d still might have hit the ice and instead hit them.

Thanks for quoting what I said as if I’d forgotten the experience. Just trying to be a total asshole or was there a reason?

I see the federal mandate that cars incorporate a perforated seam is producing dividends.

1 Like

I’m guessing Volvo.

2 Likes

Having been in a very serious car accident myself (hit head-on by a drunk driver), pulled from the vehicle and lying on the highway pavement… I object to the filming of the victims of this accident. Even though there were only minor injuries people need to be aware that this is the most vulnerable moment most people will ever face in their lives and to film them without their consent is extremely intrusive and inappropriate.

10 Likes

Isn’t that in the definition? I mean if it wasn’t preventable, it wasn’t an accident, it was an act of Zod*.

*This is why I can’t start an insurance company. Judge: “Who is…Ororo Munroe?”

2 Likes

Ready Team Fire Assist? These guys were armed?

The Toyota Icebreaker.

1 Like

A rider I knew liked to put it this way:

“Accidents are for bedwetters and Volvo drivers. I don’t have accidents; I crash.”

I’ve never had an accident on a bike, but I have had a couple of fuckups. Mostly involving deep sand or gravel.

3 Likes

The story, as you presented it, does strongly suggest that your driving choices were not as good as they should have been. The picture it paints is that of an aggressive and reckless driver who thankfully failed to get anyone killed when experiencing the predictable consequences of their own behaviour.

I am not saying that that is what happened; I am saying that that is the impression given by the story posted upthread.

Unlike anyone else here, you’re the one who experienced it first-hand, so you have the most direct knowledge of what actually happened. Doesn’t seem much point in arguing about it.

1 Like

I feel like this has some kind of relevance.

1 Like

Precisely the attitude my bike teacher tried to instil in me.

Me too, except my fuckups involved failing parts and dogs.

Ummm. Maybe this is a humor detection fail on my part. Shouldn’t this be shear zones? Which is something I’ve not contemplated before now.

1 Like

Some vehicles are meant to break off at certain points. Typically ones where the driver is in a protective pod of sorts, so when in a serious crash the vehicle comes apart away from the driver. Think Formula 1 cars and those high speed racing boats have them.