Nobody is happy in the first trailer for Avengers: Endgame

Supposing that the obviously wicked and the true believers alike both went “poof!!!” at the same time, that theory wouldn’t hold much water, though.

Not to mention, it would mean that any true believers who survived the snap but thought it was ‘the rapture’ didn’t make it into their promised land. The very idea would break them.

The most likely response for most people would be devastating shock; no one has ever witnessed millions of different species just all disintegrate simultaneously.

5 Likes

Could be worse.

10 Likes

I expect the official view from a lot of churches will be that it is not the rapture, and God is testing them.

Expect verses from the book of Job to be quoted a lot.

5 Likes

Sorry to see you go! Seriously. I was genuinely enjoying your contribution to the discussion and feel you comported yourself just fine. I hope your day gets better.

On topic, as Honest Trailers pointed out, Marvel isn’t holding anyone’s hand if they haven’t seen the preceding 10 to 20 movies at this point. I’m quite enjoying that aspect of the films but then I thought the Wheel of Time was a great experience and that the length was worth it in its own right (narrative and/or philosophical issues aside) so my opinion might be skewed.

Reading this article about how everything in Endgame is a bummer or the previous BB article saying that everyone is RDR2 is having a miserable time leaves me feeling like I’ve learned more about the person making the statement than I have about the artwork. For the record, I didn’t enjoy RDR2 for other reasons but I don’t think “everyone is having a bad time” is a very deep insight. Also for the record, not disappointed just sort of disagreeing. Looking forward to other insights and/or disagreements in the future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well if they have their own streaming service up and running that question may have more complications.

1 Like

Probably… but after the shock wears off (if it ever wears off, for some) I doubt the usual religious types will have much sway over what’s left of the populace.

Animals etc ‘don’t have souls’, so their inclusion in such a massive culling would shake every known religious belief system, IMO.

And of course, in this scenario, Thanos is still fucking out there, and who knows what the fuck he’ll do next.

*Insert bad joke about “going to Disneyland,” here ____.

“For every system, there is a way to circumvent that system.”

4 Likes

That kind of shock, infinite 9/11, and people would be looking for some explanation, any explanation, that offered some reason, comfort and who to blame. It wouldn’t have to make sense.

For some the Rapture might get flipped where the bad people were taken away. (You think they were good? They were taken away, so obviously they were bad.)

Hm. I wonder how many airplanes in the air had the pilot and co-pilot snapped? (25%) That wouldn’t be pretty. Nor the cars on the highway missing drivers.

3 Likes

This is comic books. Universe ending events happen approximately twice per year, with no discernable long term effects whatsoever.

2 Likes

Wait, cats and dogs? Not just the cats? Aw, man…

4 Likes

Like the hyperbolic comic I posted above implies, the casualties among the survivors of the snap would be immense.

If it happened in this reality that we current live in, I seriously doubt civilized society could survive it. I say again, instantaneous devastation on such a massive level would psychologically break many of the people who were left.

Half of every living thing, yo; that would be an incomprehensible mindfuck.

10 Likes

And tummy ache. Half your gut bacteria would be missing.

“I don’t feel so good.”

8 Likes

Great for the planet; but those Pandas have a bad enough time breeding as it is!

Thankfully this is fiction, there really is nothing comparable. If this weren’t a comic-book story it would be utterly terrifying.

5 Likes

Even more ‘casualties’ and collateral damage.

The premise is totally terrifying; comic book or not.

There’s a reason the Infinity Stones saga was always one of my least favorite story lines.

7 Likes

Still…way to go, Marvel, for ruining the cliffhanger for Ant Man 2.

7 Likes

Your kids gone, spouse parents, neighbors, some siblings?

One close person dyeing will devastate most people. There’s no way to calculate how badly people would be effected by this. How many would think they just didn’t want to live.

And the struggle just to survive after. Is food going to be delivered- did that 50% culling hit crops badly?

So - sure - a somewhat depressing preview?

8 Likes
4 Likes

I always kind of wondered if Thanos could have just been a little smarter and more targeted about the extermination. I’m sure he might have been able to find many suicidal souls that would have volunteered.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Half of all mitochondria will disappear too. “I don’t feel so good” won’t even begin to cover that.

5 Likes

Exactly.

Losing half of everyone you ever cared about, including maybe your beloved pet?

Literally, though; I can’t even wrap my head around how incredibly awful that would be.

6 Likes