Nobody is happy in the first trailer for Avengers: Endgame

None of this makes sense

Ooh that’s a better tagline than Endgame.

Avengers: None of this makes sense

4 Likes

Or even a Barrett M82 with vibranium-plated bullets.

For that matter, why not arm a half-fuckton of conventional troops with Stark weaponry, like repulsor carbines? Or heavy weapons not constrained to fit in a suit?

Concerns about leaking technology would change after over half of everybody is dead. (And wouldn’t matter if they hit the reset button to undo the snap.)

1 Like

13 Likes

Fox. Marvel is basically a logo on the X-Men films. Also if you’re adapting the X-Men you have to have characters die and come back as often as possible. Everyone of those characters has died 23 times and come back as an evil clone at least six.

1 Like

I feel like you’re just making my point for me. It’s so goddamn obvious that this will all be undone through some sort of convoluted means that it contains literally zero emotional weight. As you’ve said, this trope has been done a million times before.

This isn’t innovative storytelling - it’s just lazy. But hey if it makes you happy, you do you.

4 Likes

Of course not. This is actually an area Marvel has done really well, not requiring a deep knowledge of the back stories and wider universe to really enjoy the MCU. But in the comics, death, particularly death in battle, is very frequently temporary. In fact, Death is a character in the wider universe of the comics. As one who spent way too many hours list in the comics books as a younger man, even with that understanding, death is no less impactful, but signifies " and this is where things get interesting." IMHO, this is a feature, not a bug, of the Marvel universe. And this will be the first time it comes up in the MCU, so I can’t wait to see how it plays out.

5 Likes

This is true, with the big caveat that you need to consume the entirety of the MCU (including TV/streaming) or else big chunks of it won’t make any sense.

2 Likes

Not sure about this entirely. I have never been able to get into the Agents of Shield thing, mostly due to time, and have never actually seen the Netflix shows. On the other hand, as mentioned, I have read way too many of the books, so ymmv. I have not had that affect the movies. Now, the movies are deeply tied together, and yes, you need to have seen pretty much all 20+ of them or you will be missing out on some of the details of subsequent movies. That, I suspect, is intentional, so us addicts will absolutely not miss out on any, even the ones that were not so great.

1 Like

This isn’t innovative storytelling - it’s just lazy.

No, it’s not innovative. It’s also not lazy. Now you’re just shitting on the stuff other folks enjoy and sounding like an elitist, so we’ll call it a day on this conversation.

3 Likes

Fuck that. I’ve seen every single film in the MCU multiple times, know the source material, and the genre tropes. But I dare to question the almighty MCU storytellers and now I’m some sort of fun destroying elitist with no nerd cred. Got it.

3 Likes

@RickMycroft, I’ll challenge you with … antibiotics

@the_borderer, mitochondria don’t qualify. They are not even full endosymbionts, but probably evolved from some. See, “the mitochondria cannot [even] synthesize entirely new deoxynucleotides”.

@KathyPartdeux, if that purple tentacle of doom actually snapped half of all autotrophic life forms as well, this pretty much counteracts his original aim, making overpopulation “right”. Well, if we keep thinking about what else this guy didn’t factor our brains would un-enjoy that movie anyways, so we better stop.

Ok, I could not help thinking about that guy:

1 Like

You do know that people can talk critically about pop culture and still enjoy it, right? for some of us, that’s a major part of the fun. There is nothing “elitist” about thinking about the culture we enjoy.

11 Likes

But as stated up above, movies are a different “delivery system” of entertainment than comic books.

I disagree.

Personally very few deaths in comic books affected me emotionally when reading them, because they completely lack the permanence that death has in reality.

I also have a problem with the whole “you don’t like it because you just don’t get the comics” mentality some people seem to hold; that’s some gate-keeper bullshit, even if its not consciously intended that way.

7 Likes

I agree. Not everyone is into comics and that’s okay. It’s not a medium for everyone and there is nothing wrong with that. I happen to love them, but I understand not everyone digs them in the same way I do.

5 Likes

No one ever stops and thinks about how many people probably died each time some super hero gets punched through a few buildings.

“Hey hey hey! You guys take outside city limits or else!”

7 Likes

“What’s your superhero name?”
“Collateral Damage.”

11 Likes

To each their own. I am ok with the way the mythos is constructed. This is not a right-wrong kind of thing, although there seem to be some taking it that way. Tastes differ, some like vegemite and telenovellas, not my thing.

2 Likes

7 Likes

i think it’s definitely the worst of the films.

most of the movie revolved around introducing the various characters to each other with a few fight scenes everyone knew the heroes were destined to lose.

for me, the emotional weight to watching people lose their friends and loved ones was undermined by knowing they were really just off screen for a bit. and also because everyone is going to be off screen for a bit. tada the movie ends. wait till part 2.

a much more engrossing setup – imo – would have been to start with premise of the 2nd film. where thanos has already won. where no one knows who is alive or dead. use the search to introduce the characters, and flash back to their mistakes to complete the story.

there still could have been an avengers assemble ensemble for a second movie. with all-out battles on several fronts across time and space. giving roles to the smaller characters the way joss managed to do so well in the first avengers movie. or even drag it out across several character movies the way actual comic book events work.

they went the (very) safe and (very) boring route instead.

2 Likes

I like the way you think. Using non-linear (or “how we got there”) storytelling in this fashion a clever and more challenging way to build suspense. Not ending with, “everybody you like is dead, see you next time when they all come back to life because we’ve already announced the next 10 films and they are all in them!”

It was almost like the entire film simply ended in the middle of Act 2 to just further drive home the, “lol we’re not even pretending that you’re going to miss the next one” aspect (Pirates 2 did this kind of thing and it supremely pissed me off then as well).

1 Like