Nobody is happy in the first trailer for Avengers: Endgame

It’s not like he’d have to ask first; Tony’s stuck, out adrift in space.

1 Like

Does one actually need to be, in order to enjoy the MCU films, though?

Ooh, lucky you; that’s good to hear.

6 Likes

But knowing Tony he probably programmed all his armored suits to automatically break into a “Never Gonna Give You Up” song & dance routine if Hawkeye ever tried to put one on.

5 Likes

It’s worse than that.

Because it is random some people will lose everyone who they care about, while other people will still have all their friends and family.

(text blurred, because I found it very depressing just typing it.)

Something similar happened in the Aberfan disaster, when a colliery spoil tip buried a school in Wales. Some families lost all their children while others were lucky and their children survived. This put the community under a lot of strain because, without it being intentional, people subconsciously felt it was unfair that their family suffered while others didn’t. Of course, the other families were suffering because they lost friends too, but people do not act rationally in these situations.

7 Likes

You really just won’t cut Clint a break, huh?

2 Likes

He seems like a good family man and I envy his archery skills, but even he seems to realize that’s a pretty thin resume for fighting a world-threatening force of super-powered beings. The line that probably encapsulates his role in the series best is “Okay, look, the city is flying, we’re fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense.”

4 Likes

Clearly. If you have anything bad to say about the MCU you fail the shibboleth test of being a comic book fan and are told these movies aren’t for you.

3 Likes

If you’ve been keeping up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. , Coulson’s been through the ringer, at least as much as the Avengers. Let him enjoy his retirement.

It’s good to see him able to actually enjoy Tahiti for a change.

4 Likes

At least he’s aware of it; and is still willing to fight, even though he knows he doesn’t bring much to the table in the way of super powers.

That speaks to a sense of integrity that many people lack.

2 Likes

Oh sure; he’s got plenty of chutzpah. But then so did “Peter” from Deadpool 2.

4 Likes

Oh, come on, that’s not even comparable; Peter was just a regular dude who had no useful skills at all… and DP’s whole team except for Domino died the first time, due to Wade’s lack of forethought.

4 Likes

He had male white privilege, and that’s a super power. And sun-block.

6 Likes

To me, Hawkeye is the kind of superhero who works well in stories where he’s facing off against other mortals, similar to Green Arrow or Daredevil or The Punisher. But somewhere around Age of Ultron both the heroes and bad guys in the MCU started getting so ridiculously overpowered that it’s hard not to notice him fading into irrelevance in an ensemble movie. Put him and Black Widow in a stand-alone spy thriller or Netflix series and I’m sold.

7 Likes

But then again, so does every White male protagonist, villain and character in the MCU.

There, I agree.

6 Likes

See we hear this all the time about Hawkeye. But what’s weird is we never hear it about Black Widow. She’s in pretty much exactly the same situation as Hawkeye, except since her approach is punching. She’s a bit worse off. Black Widow should be just as unbelievable in these situations as Hawkeye.

But for some reason he’s not. Maybe its because trick arrows are inherently ridiculous. Maybe its Renner. But they seem to have dropped the ball in there somewhere. And most people have trouble buying Hawkeye but have little problem with the other non-superpowered-no-robot-suit-wearing characters who get tossed in these situations.

2 Likes

I think it’s because Black Widow is also an accomplished espionage and psyops agent. She was the sleeper agent who infiltrated Stark’s organization, she’s the one who was able to track down and recruit Bruce Banner, she’s the one who got intel out of Loki in that interrogation room, she’s the one who had the backstory on the Winter Soldier, she’s the one who hacked SHIELD’s servers to expose HYDRA. Her value to the team, like Nick Fury’s, extends beyond her skill set as a hand-to-hand combatant.

9 Likes

OK. She’s gotten more screen time because she’s the more popular character. But you could list off a bunch of stuff Clint did too. And he’s also pretty clearly an accomplished espionage agent. The real division there is that while Black Widdow is pitched more as “spy” Hawkguy is pitched more as “soldier”. He’s just the more tactical end of what Shield does.

But none of that means that its anymore inherently believable that she could take out many super strong space critters that even Captain American has issues with. Or that she could stand up to legitimately super powered individuals as she does. Infiltration doesn’t help you kill some one who can take out Vision.

And yet it is less believable. Maybe its because Hawkeye’s big intro in Avengers sees him rapidly hoosgowed by Loki. Personally I think its because they’ve never done much with him, or seemed to know what to do with him. I don’t think his lack of screen time is purely a result of audience disinterest. I mean people were pissed/confused he wasn’t in Infinity War. Or it could be his faintly goofy comic book reputation following him.

2 Likes

It wasn’t just archery, he commented that he always got a hole in one when playing golf when he was retired. If that applies to other sports then he should be playing soccer, as with his fitness and ability to put a shot exactly where he wants it he will make Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi (the two highest paid sports stars in the world in 2017) look like 45 year old Sunday league players.

A few years of that, and he would be able to pay someone to build him his own Iron Man style armour.

7 Likes

14 Likes

More like “what the fuck is this shit?” It had literally zero emotional weight because there’s no fucking way they are going to make this permanent - not when most of those characters have upcoming movies in their name.

It’s a time honored trope in fantasy and science fiction movies… not to mention soap operas of course. Harry Potter did it, several times in fact. Star Wars did it (Han didn’t die, and even the “dead” Jedi aren’t really dead). Gandalf, Imhotep, Michael Meyers, Captain Barbossa, and every movie about the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth. Hell, our biggest world religion is built on the foundation of the main character being resurrected! Marvel has already done it with the X-Men when Jean Gray came back. Literally the ONLY Marvel character who stays dead forever is Uncle Ben. Anyone who DIDN’T realize it even before the movie started hasn’t been paying attention, because of COURSE they’re bringing most of these folks backs. The ones who are dead dead, definitely dead forever, gone, shuffled off their mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the invisible choir dead. . . their characters will be replaced by someone else using the same costume and powers. Or another version of the same person from another dimension. Or an alien. Or robot. Whatevs.

Me, I’m going to run squeeeeeeeing around the house for the next few months until the SECOND trailer drops, then squeeeeeeeee some more, and then go see the damned film in the theater at least twice. Because yes, this trope works just fine in this medium, and if it didn’t, it would have been done since the early days of film (Nosferatu). This is my jam, this is what I grew up loving, and yes, I want to see ALL the tropes in the films, too. Because in my opinion, that last movie worked like a charm, it hit all the right notes, and the acting and writing was fantastic. Chris Hemsworth had the best story, a tragedy where every time he won, he lost, and he was perfection in it. People just had to realize the ending was only the mid-point of a much longer story arc. The end of Empire was the mid-point of a longer two-movie cycle that ended in Jedi. The end of Back to the Future II was the mid-point of a longer two-movie cycle that ended in Back to the Future III (and wait, the Doc came back, too, now that I think about it, as did Marty, his family, Clara, others).

People complaining about this don’t really seem to want to engage in the history of cinema and story telling. This isn’t just comic books and comic book movies, this is literally a well-trod trope throughout the history of film making.

3 Likes