Nobody is happy in the first trailer for Avengers: Endgame

The other thing about Clint… he has a family. Wife and kids.

Or… had. My suspicion is that they’re all gone. Which makes Clint a very, very desperate and angry man in this film. He may not be powered, but I think we’re going to see him exacting some significant revenge.

1 Like

The world’s current (overall as well as natural) growth rate is about 1.14%, representing a doubling time of 61 years . We can expect the world’s population of 6.5 billion to become 13 billion by 2067 if current growth continues. The world’s growth rate peaked in the 1960s at 2% and a doubling time of 35 years .

2 Likes

Would it be though? I’m no ecologist so can’t begin to answer that question. But now I wonder. And does that include plants and cyanobacteria? What happens when half the photosynthetic organisms go bye-bye?

I’m starting to think Thanos Marvel’s writers didn’t really think this plan through.

5 Likes

Honestly I can’t see it helping the planet considering how life forms depend on each other. Even if we’re just talking about animals, of all pollinators disappearing in an instant would play havoc with plants too.

Even the human impact on the ecology wouldn’t necessarily be lessened, because the benefit of fewer mouths to feed would be offset by the stuff that tends to accompany widespread societal collapse. For example, one of the biggest threats to megafauna in subsaharan Africa is hunting by people driven to desperation by poverty or war. People who are hungry not because the planet can’t support enough agriculture to feed them, but because forces beyond their control have driven them to survive on whatever resources they can find.

5 Likes

Yeah, removing roughly half the productive capacity of every planet in the Marvel universe isn’t making it sustainable. I’m not much of a comics reader (though I suspect I easily could be) so I didn’t know the story beforehand, but as soon as Thanos explained his plan, I was all da fuq?

3 Likes

See my point above.

This:

If you really try thinking it through, it would be more kind to hammer out your brain with two gold bars wrapped by thin slices of lemon.

Just for starters: do you have the population of every species, or life in general? If the former, who decides what a species is? And what do you do with life which defines the category? What about entities which defy the ideas we have about individuals, e.g. by clonal reproduction or strange life cycles involving “social” phases? If the latter, and randomness would be given, then what happens when e.g. on random planet all autotrophic organisms vanish but heterotrophic life forms remain?

If it just affects humans, or humanoid life forms, you’ve got similar nuts to crack.

I think a full two-hour movie following Shuri, Bruce Banner and maybe Tony Stark trying to figure out the pattern of the snapture (with the aim to understand it, to find a possible way out of it?) would be worth watching.

4 Likes

Well, not so much ‘bullshit’ as “hey, maybe we should go back and watch that silly Ant-Man movie that talks about the Quantum Realm a lot”.

What struck me is that his plan – “hey, there’s overpopulation and people and animals and other living things are taxing the universe’s resources, so I’ll benevolently erase half of everything to reset things, and people will thank me later” – is the sort of thing that sounds good to a crazy guy for about two seconds, but that Thanos is a whole other level of obsessively mad. The writers thought it through, but a guy literally called The Mad Titan didn’t exactly iron out the details.

5 Likes

If I recall correctly in the comics Thanos was just really, really into death and didn’t even pretend to be motivated by what was “best” for everyone else.

I got the impression the MCU writers were trying to give him a motive that would make him seem more relatable and complex as a character. “He’s the biggest mass-murderer in the history of the Universe he’s not ALL bad, just misguided!”

5 Likes

I’d watch that.
(I’d probably have to watch it several times to grasp the finer points, but I’d be okay with that.)

1 Like

He just wants to get into death’s pants, and this was supposed to impress her.

Somehow I don’t think he included himself in the 50% lottery.

6 Likes

And in my opinion, it worked. He wasn’t just a murder junkie, he was convinced that his insane plan was actually going to help people and that the 50% who were left would thank him for saving the universe from overconsumption, that he’d create a sort of utopia to vacation in. It’s a stupid, stupid plan, but it was a lot more interesting than the usual “crazy dude wants to take over the world and/or take revenge” plot.

2 Likes

I also think your suspicion is correct, and that could make him a very formidable adversary.

3 Likes

In the comics, Thanos has a romantic obsession with Death, who is a character in the series. The mass genocide (in the comics) is not based on “doing good” in any way, it is just to prove his love by making an enormous offering. They changed the storyline in the MCU on this, but still the rumor that Hela will take on the role of Death makes me wonder if they will go back to it in some way.

8 Likes

An even worse motivation, IMO. I guess I should be grateful the MCU writers didn’t completely stick to the source material.

3 Likes

I mean, at this point the difference between Hawkeye being ineffectual and everyone else being ineffectual is pretty minimal, so why not?

Besides, this way, while everyone else is getting their ass kicked, Hawkeye can just yell at them “This is what it’s like to be me, only every day!

2 Likes

Well, when the action is question is killing 1/2 of all life in the universe, is there really a “good” motivation? He is not called The Mad Titian for nothing. The guy is stone cold nuts.

1 Like

6 Likes

Some people take being friendzoned so badly.

What’s he going to do if killing half of everything doesn’t impress her? “That’s sweet and all, and I like you, but not in that way. Besides, I’m seeing Deadpool right now, and well, we’re kind of a couple.”

Get over it dude! There must be whole planets out there where big and purple is their fetish. (Oops, half worlds.)

5 Likes

If I recall properly, this is actually why Deadpool cannot die. He developed a thing for Death and was cursed (?) by somebody (I cannot recall who, maybe Thanos?) to never die so he cannot be with her. The storylines in Marvel get pretty out there!

4 Likes

Fox, apparently.

Or, it could just be the waves of cancer and healing working their way through his brain. (Why not both?)

Meanwhile:

7 Likes