Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

Oh noes! Mine are stacked pretty high.

I hope I don’t land on this guy on the way down – he looks fragile.

5 Likes

I’ve never taken a formal women’s/gender studies class in my life, and even I know that by the late 1970’s there was already an understanding of the difference between men as subject and women as object. Can you at least catch up to the 20th century before posting?

7 Likes

If you do fall, try not to squish his painting.

Just look at it.

5 Likes

Pfft. This comment is just about comment likes you totally deserve.

PS @JollyWombat - it was a joke at the gamergate people’s expense.

Those are soap pad boxes.

Only years at art school will give you this degree of perceptive nuance.

1 Like

I love paragraphs - they show cohesion of thought.

Oh, hello new troll who just coindicdentally joined BB’s BBS for this.

4 Likes

Which makes them no different from many other commenters on this forum - who don’t get accused of ‘walrusing’ because they’re ‘on the right side’. In fact there’s at least one person here who consistently accuses their opponents of the exact bad-faith forms of argument that they themselves are using (“I’m simply reflecting their methods - oh yeah and I have a time machine”). A few years ago people would cry ‘troll’ rather than addressing their opponent’s comments - that became transparent fairly quickly - but this seems like it has potential to be more of the same. Not necessarily because it’s not true, but certainly because it is not applied in an even-handed way and permits reinforcement of the groupthink on a particular forum.

1 Like

That Leopard seal (I think?) is so fucking cool.

Oh, no, not groupthink! Quickly, I must change my views so that they don’t resemble anyone else’s in this thread! I know, I’ll copy this other group’s thinks instead!

5 Likes

I’m so sorry you can’t look away. Maybe someone can write you a software tool to ignore opinions and styles that offend you? And maybe if you’ve taken something not said to or about you, personally, it’s not anyones fault except… whose?

at least he points it out himself to show how annoying it it when it’s done to you!!! He can also admit mistakes, and doesn’t generally personalize arguments or hate on women or resort to fallacies.

Maybe some people suffer fools like that one more easily than you and I do. Clearly my intolerance for them is somehting you’d never fully understand. :wink:

I’d turn off the like function. I’m not here to be popular, nor to circle up a firin squad neither.

“And I’m all outta bubble gum”.

All I can really say is, hey, make it about me if you can’t keep it to the issues. It’s not my loss. I’m pointing out bad form, and, eventually, when that doesn’t work, I return in kind. I’ll be exactly as kind as my conversational partner. Just like you will.

Ideally though, I’d rather hear your opinion on if men and women are equally sexualized in comics. But that conversation isn’t readily allowed, so this was the one that got had instead. You’re not innocent of that, either, so why complain about deserving better? I mean, from who, first, if not you? Be that change @teapot. Be that change!!

1 Like

o good lord thats the LAST time i get tricked into buying pads at the grocery store

Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can’t get fooled again.

When there’s a derailing slap-fight going on?

Don’t be mad, bro – I made you the unicorn, see! Or are you said 'cuz you didn’t get the pointy hat? Here’s one JUST FOR YOU

##CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 3382nd customer! YOU GET A BRAND NEW AVATAR IMAGE MADE JUUUUUUUST FOOOOR YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!

2 Likes

I’m surprised that you take exception to that, actually, based upon your comments in this thread which I thought were subtle, even-handed, and challenging. If you think I want to subvert the liberal intelligentsia of Boingboing in order to impose some kind of littlegreenfootballs style reactionary dogma, you’re mistaken.

1 Like

Are any of those characters unequally sexualized? Because I’d like to think you’d try to keep on topic while you point out where others are not. You know, because you’re here to discuss ideas (good or bad) and not just rag on people, or just praise them either.

But I can’t help it if someone takes a disagreement with their idea, personally. It’s a common dodge.

Whatever you’re doing, I know it can’t possibly be complaining about a derail.

I note that you’ve excised my reference to having a time machine, which is fairly intrinsic to the critique.

“I may be an asshole, but at least I’m not a fucking asshole.”

I understand your intolerance very well - but my impression of your contribution is at best like that scene in Star Wars where Luke finds Darth Vader’s glove has attached itself to his arm.

Impressions? Do you do a good Rodney Dangerfield? Seems so.

Mine is intolerance of intolerance… not intolerance of difference.

Intoerance of fallacy. Of moving golaposts, and of sealions, too. You’re free to choose the company you keep. As you wish. But why take it so personal, if I am just. so. incorrect?

Also, Star Wars is a comic book, as well as a movie. What do you think of the sexualization of characters in those comic books?

Sorry, I’ve used up my quota for rational debate for this week, and I’m reduced to gut-reacting to buzzwords instead.

“Groupthink” is one of those words that’s misused all too often, especially by those who find a lot of the commentariat at a particular venue disagreeing with them. It might be because we’ve all got similar cognitive filters leading us into the same folly, but it might just be that the lone voice in the wilderness is the one that’s wrong. You’re probably better off not using it, as it’s just blood in the water to some folk.

6 Likes