Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

Point taken, although plenty of media has “white washed” POC characters. Still, there are other examples The t.v. show Agents of SHIELD is a great example. I just think Falcon is cool.

1 Like

Better?

5 Likes

DigitalArtform is just the pony of the moment. And what the fuck is a sealion?

I am ready and willing to serve.

(I am also willing to let artists make whatever art they want, so if they choose to draw me with a six-pack, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Smithwicks.)

1 Like

5 Likes

I’d pay to watch him read the classified ads.

2 Likes

Oh, I see. Thanks.

I’m a bit concerned that this characterisation could be rolled out whenever an opponent makes an awkward point, but I guess that the characteristic is taking up a debate in bad faith.

I’ve read that Idris Elba (whom I love) HATED filming for this role.

This isn’t just for “an awkward point”. Note that the person just. won’t. let. it. go.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s the game small children play of deliberately annoying someone, attached to implicit intimidation. Sometimes the “sea lion” tactic is the public-facing aspect of a movement, with overtly hostile attacks in the back-channel. See: Gamergate. Or, for that matter, diplomacy.

2 Likes

Idris Elba makes everything better.

5 Likes

Oh, no you didn’t!

Ok… next up, scientific diplomacy.

Such an incredibly dishonest argument. It relies entirely on your assuming the motives of those who make magazines, and in framing the discussion in ONLY terms of how the outcomes “MAY” benefit men. The objective reality is that both men and women in comics are portrayed in idealized way, promoting ideals of traditionally beautiful appearances. You don’t even try to deny this. Instead, you presume the motives of those making the comics, and those reading them. You PRESUME that because the comics were originally directed at men, that the women added to the comics are their to titillate, and the men are their to pander to a “male power fantasy”…because men get off on homoerotic depictions of other men, or something. Yet somehow, when we’re discussing how women are portrayed in print that is targeted at women, typically women’s magazines…these idealized women are their to pander to a “female power fantasy”… no no no… those women are portrayed as such to set a standard of beauty that men supposedly want women to aspire to. In both cases, the target sexes portrayal is idealized, but the MOTIVES are allegedly different. But the motives that are given aren’t objectively given, they are merely, assumed to be true… born out of the biases and prejudices of the ideology this author and many others subscribe to.

Men in comics ARE objectified as much as women, just as men are objectified in general far more than is ever acknowledged. The reason for this lack of acknowledgment is the efforts ideologues take to spin a narrative in order to deny or dismiss it when it happens to men, all so that women come out looking like the only victims, and as such, give women the moral high ground to make demands for change and compensation. Fortunately people are starting to see this and reject it more and more. But you media types are all steeped in it, and use your soapbox to try pushing the narrative ever more firmly. But it can’t last. Somethings going to break.

7 Likes

…No.

Once again, noone is equal, even in Ideology.

1 Like

But what ideals? Of what traditions? These things are not a homogeneous mass. Maybe thinking about and choosing the ideals and traditions on offer is the point here!

No, I really presume none of these things, as it so happens. Although I am sure there are some who do.

What think we are seeing here is symptomatic of an extremely naive conception of sexuality and desire. Perhaps the levels of industrial consumption and mass-media commodification have rendered contemporary people unable to understand it - but desire is an experience to be shared, not an object to be possessed. Everything is phenomenological, based upon process. What appear to be things to be acquired are, in reality, participatory processes we don’t understand.

LOL - wut?

Except Prometheus.

He could have played every role in that film and it still would have been an unsalvageable pile of poo.

3 Likes

I didn’t actually see it. My husband liked it, but a movie has to be beyond terrible for him to dislike it.

And here YOU are - at late long last! - the fabled mythical being who is free from all biases and prejudices of ideology.

#WE ARE SAVED

11 Likes

He’s come to push the narrative-pushing media types off their soapboxes! Hurrah!

5 Likes