North Americans feared and misunderstood pizza in the 1950s

2 Likes

It’s uncommon (or was), but Poke is Hawaiian, I think… I guess technically international, given the East Asian influence… but in that wholly American way of amalgamation of styles…

It’s right there in the name - New ENGLAND not New IRELAND!

Doesn’t mean they’re not part of the same region, despite those differences. There are major cultural differences between ATL and other parts of GA, or between NOLA and the north part of Louisiana - doesn’t mean that ATL and NOLA are somehow “less” part of the south… it’s all part of the south.

11 Likes

Good catch! Ha. I just realized they put Hawaiian records in the international section at a lot of record stores too. A bit of a disconnect there but yeah of course it’s part of the US. But yeah I hadn’t had poke until I visited there like 8 years ago and when I got back to continental US I started seeing those shops everywhere. Maybe more common on the west coast.

1 Like

I’m not surprised…

Oh no, there are tons of poke places here now… I can probably find a good dozen places within a 20 mile radius of my house to get poke bowls!

3 Likes

No clue, and I’m from “the Mid West.”

I do know that Ohio got saddled with that designation because it wasn’t one of the original 13 colonies… even though it’s not actually close to the middle, and it’s nowhere near the West, as we now know it.

9 Likes

I just think of everything between the Appalachian Mountains and the Rockies as the Midwest, minus The South. So Texas isn’t Midwest, but Oklahoma qualifies due to tornado frequency!

4 Likes

Imperialists don’t always seem to have a great handle on what “middle” means.

Near, Middle, Far East

12 Likes

True… these designations are pretty much created to center Europe and decenter the rest of the world…

8 Likes

I don’t remember that one. I’ll have to look it up. I’m excited to think there’s a Dave and Morley story that’s new to me. Apropos of the thread, a recurring character in the Vinyl Cafe is Kenny Wong, owner of Wong’s Scottish Meat Pies.

I like homemade fruitcake, and it think it would have a better reputation if most people’s experience was not with the execrable store-bought variety.

4 Likes

Those are the English terms, and from the viewpoint of the British Isles they sort of make sense. I don’t know the equivalent in other European languages.

4 Likes

But we in Britain would not count India as part of the Far East. That part of the world was the “Indian subcontinent” and is now, more neutrally, “the Subcontinent”.

4 Likes

Who’s the “we” that would never?

4 Likes

This thread is about pizza, but the sub continent does sound delicious.

8 Likes

From the Gaelic Mac Aodha, “son of Aodh”, where Aodh (in Old Irish, Áed) was a native name meaning “fire”, but was mixed up with the Norman “Hugh” relatively early after Strongbow.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

3 Likes

Except for the whole part of England not actually being the center of the universe…

3 Likes

This reminds me of my own “other” food illumination. In 1982 I was an 18yo kid from the rural Midwest of Irish/English/German background that got stationed in San Antonio, where I saw the mysterious word “Fajita” everywhere. My unit’s messhall was run by a TexMex family. I was introduced to jalapeños, salsa, etc. I was in heaven after joining the Chilehead path. Once I hit Korea that opened another world to me. A bit in Louisiana also helped.

5 Likes

As someone with ancestors from the grayed-out region in between, I had to laugh at this map!

7 Likes

McHugh, McCoy, and probably more.

sub continent

Food Cheese GIF by visitphilly

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Angry Orchard

7 Likes

https://sci-hub.se/https://www.jstor.org/stable/20029452

“Middle East became fixed in the English lexicon on the Mahan-Chirol pattern. The Near East centered on Turkey, the Middle East on India, the Far East on China. The whole East, like all Gaul, was divided into three parts.”

that described the geo political carve up as of 1914. Then Churchill got involved.

1 Like