North Korea launches Netflix-like streaming propaganda service 'Manbang'

That was impressively tactful of you.

I’d have been sorely tempted by “Oh cum on, you can’t possibly be serious?”; but that doesn’t work when spoken since the pronunciation is the same.

1 Like

This is arguably a testament(for good and ill) to the truly remarkable impact of international trade and ‘software eating the world’:

Thanks to trade, your ability to access high-tech goods(though generally not your ability to cultivate skilled human capital) is effectively divorced from your internal economic and technological situation. As long as you have something you can sell, it is perfectly possible to provide cutting edge widgets to your elite, reasonably high end weapons to your loyalist guard, and so on even if the population is all starving mud farmers or child slaves in the coltan pits.

Thanks to software, more or less identical hardware can be turned to a wide variety of purposes: I haven’t been able to find specs; but it’s a very good bet that this ‘manbang’ thing is virtually identical to either one of the cheapie Android set top boxes or one of the Linux-with-proprietary-UI devices(like the Roku); just pointed to a different library of videos on different servers.I doubt that Netflix will be looking to poach North Korea’s cutting edge datacenter skillz in the near future; but that’s the power of software customization: the tech required to run a dystopian propaganda-on-demand system is almost entirely identical to that required for every other video-over-IP arrangement, with some hostnames changed.

4 Likes

But how can they Manbang us when they have Nodong?

3 Likes

I think the unfortunately named service may soon renamed to “Dead English Translator”.

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

I can understand how his privilege got him access, and how he and his friends could get away with it, but blabbing about it on Western media? Seemed like pushing it.

Anyway, since then I picture DPRK kids watching Pixar and Disney movies and having their minds blown.

5 Likes

That is awesome. I tried watching it and found it hard to take, but skimming through it was delightful.

I still have an 8" floppy in the top drawer of my desk. I’m keeping it around in case I get a chance to get a program I was working on to finally compile. BTW, this was on a Terak that was also used in some early work in the development of Matlab. (I suppose that really belongs in the “Are you old” thread.)

4 Likes

The movie is problematic to watch as the director was kidnapped by North Korea to make that movie and others. But there are overtones of the monster/leader of the revolution making things worse for the people which is a shot a Dear Leader.

3 Likes

Comedy ManBang, with your host Plop Talkerman

2 Likes

Honestly, that makes me feel a lot better than if they were frequently updating the technology to the “latest and greatest” just for technology’s sake. Given that the government doesn’t seem to be able to prevent sophisticated hacks of some of our most sensitive information, maybe using archaic, non-networked hardware is actually the best possible defense against a hack that takes control of our nuclear arsenal.

2 Likes

I was not aware of this; at least their ordeal reunited the director and the actress (and they eventually escaped). The connection to Toho is pretty clear in the movie, though I would have guessed that it was imitation, not actual participation.

3 Likes

There’s a This American Life about it…

4 Likes

Still imitation they were both South Korean but South Korea has history of some good and bad giant monster films. A really bad one that is a favorite of mine is APE which is a sort of rip off of the 1970’s King Kong though you start with the ape on the ship coming back… never mind with a story lets just get right to the giant ape on a rampage action starting with it fighting a giant shark after escaping the boat and get even more insane from there.

2 Likes

I might give it a listen. I’m not crazy about the show, Ira Glass’s vocal fry drives me up the wall.

Funny, we watch a lot of Korean stuff (hard to avoid on local TV), but the closest I’ve come to a S. Korean monster movie was this TV series.

2 Likes

Transcript. Much better.

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh hey youtube for the win again… cause filing for copyright violation means owing up to the movie.

4 Likes

"Did we mention that APE is not KING KONG? Just want to be sure you understand this is not KING KONG.

Or JAWS. Or THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

Be sure to remember that."

3 Likes

It’ll make quite a splash, can tell you that much.

3 Likes

If you want to watch a terrible King Kong movie (not that there’s any shortage of that) you can watch the awful 80’s version called King Kong Lives.

“King Kong, after being shot down from the World Trade Center, is kept alive in a coma for about 10 years. In order to save Kong’s life, Dr. Franklin must perform a heart transplant and give Kong a computer-monitored artificial heart. Enter adventurer Hank “Mitch” Mitchell, who captures a giant female gorilla, bringing her to the Institute so her blood can be used for Kong’s operation. The transfusion and the heart transplant are a success, but Kong escapes along with the female.”

This is the kind of shit you just can’t make up. I remember watching this as a young kid and being completely baffled.

2 Likes

Family of party elite have much more freedom in regard to ‘western’ films. Remember, Kim Jong Il was a film buff (he wrote a book about cinema and tried his hand at producing. It is more bizarre and heavy handed than you can imagine). He also had an ungodly large DVD and film collection. I imagine his enthusiasm trickled down to at least a level or two of the priveleged party elite, probably as an affectation, (who act/talk/shop like westerners a lot more than you’d think).

2 Likes