Nostrum peddler Dr. Mehmet Oz fired from President's Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition

Why would he think that? He got to see the review of Trump’s health from Dr. Bornstein, which confirmed that he was amazingly healthy in both body and mind. And sure enough it turns out Trump can even draw clocks and recognize camels, which is a test I have heard not many people can do.

20 Likes

It goes a bit deeper than that. Dude’s currently running for GOP Senate nom in PA, as a die hard Trumpist. He’s a long term GOP donor, and has LOTS of connections to far right figures in the supplement and alt med business.

Trump didn’t just pick him off the TV, the appointment was supposed to shine him up for a political career.

11 Likes

But the weird thing is, how did we ever think he wasn’t an asshole?
He had a good 10-15 year run of people not thinking he was an asshole…
Even when he was effusively praising a new “cure of the week”, every week, he still wasn’t seen as a quack and an asshole.

9 Likes

You know what will melt away all that hurt? Green coffee bean extract.

12 Likes
11 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

Oh fuuuuck that guy and his whining. So glad they sacked him.

6 Likes

The medical profession needs to do a better job of policing their own.

5 Likes

Various news sources are quoting The Hatch Act saying he should have resigned once he decided to run for office.

Same thing goes for Herschel (I have no idea how evolution works) Walker who’s also running for office.

11 Likes

I remember seeing his show on briefly, about 10-15 years ago, and he was advocating a 1500 calorie/day diet. While fasting may have its place in nutrition, half hour/hour show geared towards selling supplements is not it. He’s obviously been a grossly irresponsible quack since the get-go.

3 Likes

I’m honestly surprised he was still there.

3 Likes

Yes. He was a genuinely distinguished physician before he became a knight in her TV kingdom of woo. Oz is apparently one of those guys who’s been driven all his life to please his completely unpleasable father, which never ends well. Now he’s a snake-oil promoter running for political office under the banner of a science-denying death cult party.

9 Likes
16 Likes

My only question is, what took them so long?

Nothing good can come from having a celebrity “doctor” on a Sports, Fitness and Nutrition committee.

8 Likes

Yup, unfortunately many of the biggest quacks have been made by Oprah. Oprah is amazing and has done many amazing things for this world, but on this one vector of medical quackery, she has done tremendous damage. People with huge platforms need to be very responsible about who they lend them to.

Also, fuck you, Oz. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

15 Likes

Way to keep it classy. The sad part for me is that my mom (70+ Florida woman who is generally informed and progressive) still watches and listens to what he says.

5 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

Do DeJoy next.

10 Likes

They were kindly giving him the opportunity to resign once he had declared that he was running for office, as required by the Hatch Act.

Instead, he chose to go full ahole qnut.

4 Likes