Noted white nationalist and guy who got punched in the face Richard Spencer is "financially crippled" from lawsuit

I’m hoping that “homeless and digging in dumpsters for food” is in his future. It’s a disgrace to the nation that people have to live like that, but if anyone must, Spencer is certainly deserving.

3 Likes

If you punch a prick, does he not bleed?

2 Likes

That depends on where and how hard, and if brass knuckles are involved.

2 Likes

Thoughts and prayers, motherfucker. Thoughts and prayers.

4 Likes

Still my fave:

4 Likes

This. There’s nothing worse than discovering an artist you like is an asshole.

4 Likes

I mean, it sucks and is disappointing, but I’m guessing there are probably worse things. YMMV…

5 Likes

Yeah. I guess you’re right, there are worse things.

4 Likes

I mean, I totally agree it sucks, and I’m with you on being upset about it…

2 Likes

Nice beat(down)s!

1 Like

Oh, you bet there was! She allowed the idea of her being the darling of the alt-right to propagate just in case. Her recent moves are entirely cynical, IMO.

I do believe that the vast majority of truly influential artists are liberal as noted both the content of their music and public statements they make. There are plenty of regressive assholes like Toby Keith our there, but it sure seems like the music that moves through the generations bends toward progressivism. That could just be the confirmation bias talking, though.

John Lennon disabused me of this at the outset of my musical infatuation. He spoke so honestly about his flaws and wore his heart on his sleeve as a growing human that I learned to expect artists to be private assholes aspiring to a better world. Lou Reed is a great example; he could be utterly tone-deaf and entirely dickish, but the thrust of his work was of offering and acceptance in the least common places. I don’t need an idol, I need a human who can allow themself to grow.

4 Likes

I don’t think entirely cynical. Just calculated. I have little doubt she stands behind her statements and she really believes her publicly stated views. But she started out in country, and that’s a notoriously conservative genre.

But women tend to be held to a different standard than men when it comes to being an artists.

I’m not convinced of that, though. Isn’t Eric Clapton influential? Johnny Ramone? Dave Mustaine? Gene Simmons? Alice Cooper?

This I totally agree with. The more we expect the people whose work we love to be a perfect reflection of our internal values then all we’re going is projecting. We should certainly appreciate and enjoy the work of musicians, but if we expect them to be paragons, because they happen to write brilliant songs…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.