NRA ads says Americans need guns to shoot "the Resistance"

“They use their movie stars…to repeat their narrative over and over again”

33 Likes

What a bunch of babies. All they have is pants-wetting fear! The Commies, the black people, the gays, the terrorists, the immigrants, and the liberals are coming to get us!!

28 Likes

No. Don’t do that false equivalence thing. One side embraces those few and gives them regular shout-outs from the mouths of politicians and organizations like this exact commercial. The other side regularly condemns those few within their ranks who entertain those fantasies.

The only reason it might seem like there is an equivalence is because one side has a very profitable outrage-based media ecosystem dedicated to magnifying the smallest examples from the other side and normalizing anything less than the most egregious cases from their own.

35 Likes

Wow that was a whole lotta nothin. Nothing to do with firearms issues at all. Basically a fascist neocon republican ad.

I once compared AARP with the NRA here, but an equally apt comparison would be MADD; they’ve been so successful that they are left to whipping up ever increasing amounts of fervor from fewer people who are whipped up, necessitating getting further off base until they just look absurd. YOU WON YOU MORONS, JUST STOP.

I think it’s important that there is an org defending gun rights. I also think it’s important that that org be issue focused, non-partisan, inclusive, and not a subsidiary of the police. I’m not sure this ad is going to have the effect they think it will. There might be a lot of dumb people out there, but there are plenty of people who are sympathetic to gun rights or are simply interested as a hobby who perhaps could be convinced to belong if the NRA weren’t constantly displaying the hateful attitude in this ad. Instead of broadening, they are doubling down on their perceived base, which is always a recipe for idiocy.

14 Likes

I think you’re missing a link here.

1 Like

Is this, perhaps, the first campaign ad for Trump 2020?

It has officially started you know.

13 Likes

Thank you! Fixed.

3 Likes

NRA: 2nd Amendment, 2nd Amendment, 2nd Amendment, 2nd Amendment, and screw your 1st Amendment.

11 Likes

I expect nothing else from these sleazy anti-intellectual and racist arms-lobby* thugs.

They’ve been selling this kind of fear for a long time now, although during the Cheney Regency at least they had enough shame to pull their infamous “graphic novel” with its Der Sturmer like images (illegal immigrant gangs! hairy-legged lesbians! eco-terrorists! And of course, a sinister Jooo puppetmaster!).

[* what, you thought their priority was dues-paying members?! Hahahahaha]

16 Likes

That’s unfair: false equivalence is his thing.

13 Likes

Also a very liberal gun owner and I’m right there with you.

6 Likes

“The madness.” Also, what’s with the “I’m the National Rifle Association,” instead of “We’re…”? Are they hinting for lone wolf action? I’ve seen a lot of my hard right friends freaking out on Facebook this week, so I think there’s definitely some propaganda gearing up to counter Trump’s shaky ground.

2 Likes

Me too. I was wondering if maybe I didn’t understand what the NRA was about when I was younger in the 80’s. Apparently they have changed.

2 Likes

late stage capitalism.

(this is strong agreement, if that happens to not be clear)

3 Likes

As a weird sidenote, my housemate’s dad was an NRA member in the 80s, and when he died, they somehow got his son’s name/address, and send a constant stream of newsletters, magazines, and fundraising letters here, despite our complaints.

When he called to explain that his dad had been dead for 15+ years, they said “We don’t care”.

I don’t think they remove anyone from their membership numbers to keep them high.

20 Likes

Its a recruiting video for White ISIS.

15 Likes

That’s Dana Loesch*. She’s already known to be horrible, so most of the demographic who has that reaction will probably classify her as “one of the good ones”.

Edited: How the hell did i mistype that? I thought i double-checked … and the link … and the other tab with the Wikipedia page … :sob:

10 Likes

“Hey boys and girls, lets form death squads!”

14 Likes

Not lone wolf action, forming pro-government death squads. Like in 1980’s El Salvador.

15 Likes

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-rights-idUSKBN19I0T8

12 Likes