NY Times: "Add green peas to your guacamole." Entire Internet: "Fuck you."

Ha, pretty funny. If it tastes good to you, then go for it. But I’ll never understand why people try to improve on something like guacamole that is so simple and perfect. It’s really not that hard:

avocado
onion
tomato
salt

and you’re done.

Optional:

garlic or garlic salt
lime (really not necessary, but some people swear by it so there you go)

To keep it from browning, just cover it in plastic wrap and press it really close to get every last bubble of air out.

I know they’re just trying to be fancy here, and peas are delicious, but my soul dies a little every time I see a ‘basic’ guac recipe with more than 4-6 ingredients.

3 Likes

Ah, ten to one its mites and/or thrips.

The weather probably killed a ton of them, then they reestablished and dropped your fruit.

I’ve actually tried this, its good. You’ll need to mash the avocado’s into a paste though.

Thank you. But even lemon is not standard, sure it helps it keep longer but if its not gone before it spoils it was bad guacamole anyway.

The funny thing is that I always figured guacamole was a way for my mom to make sure a few avocados were enough to feed the ravenous hordes of monsters I call brothers, in fact, you’ll be hard pressed to find a taco shop that will be fancy enough to serve slices of avocado and avoid the poor man’s solution, guacamole.
To each his own.

And then there’s peas in guacamole. In the absence of any other Mexican explicitly condemning this as an egregious cultural transgression, I stand offended at the very suggestion. :wink:

4 Likes

It could be worse.

Brusselmole: http://mashable.com/2015/06/30/brusselmole-marks-and-spencers/

1 Like

Who wrote that recipe for the Times? The Donald?

1 Like

Red onion, but otherwise you are dead on. Fucking peas, give me a break.

First time I tried wasabi, I thought it was guacamole! That was big, memorable bite!

Edit: I think my sinuses opened enough to let my eyeballs roll out of their sockets. Weeee!

7 Likes

You’re right of course, the lemon isn’t quite standard, particularly as its usually crushed just before you eat. But it’s fairly rare to encounter it without citrus.

It is usual to encounter it without onion, coriander, or tomato. At least in fairly rustic settings. Complementary flavours for sure. But not an ingredient in your guacamole. Sure you have your salsa to serve with it.

But then my Mexican cuisine is only as authentic as I can make it. Seriously northern Europeans, lemon lime mix in Mexican recipes. Almost as important as good ripe tomatoes.

1 Like

Not this one.

1 Like

#Give peas a chance.

1 Like

And you also watched a bazillion Marvel superhero films and won’t give good ones a chance. There’s something wrong with you, son.

i can’t believe that you neglected to mention that this is such an important issue (no sarcasm) that even the president weighed in on it: https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/616338528138608640

2 Likes

He’s not even running for President!

1 Like

I hope you take this in the nicest possible way when I say dude/chica, you are so. fuckin. high. Keep chasing those guacamole dreams through the Forest of Interesting Paths and Beautiful Crazy Ideas!

1 Like

Aw, c’mon, they’ve all been good, for a given value of “good.” But life’s too short to spend my precious movie-theater time watching fifty-one more movies about overpowered self-doubting dipshits in spandex. I’d rather blow those hundred-plus hours in Fallout 4, knowhutimean?

Also, fifty-one movies at $16.50 a ticket is eight hundred and forty-one dollars. Fallout 4 is gonna cost me $59.95.

I gave a dozen or so of those MCU movies a chance. I find the bang-for-buck ratio unsatisfactory.

And I still don’t like guacamole.

Oh, YOU. HAVE. NO. IDEA.

Ask around, that recipe idea was taaame :D.

1 Like

I made the finals of a local guacamole competition recently and tasted a bunch of wacky guacs, from mango guac to pork belly guac, bacon guac, canteloupe guac (errguhhh), and cheesy guac. Mine was a guacamole spiked with a green molé sauce. The well-deserved winner was someone who added fresh pomegranate seeds to their already-excellent and very simple guacamole.

Peas? Maybe sometime.

2 Likes

Okay, so you want pure avocado, or something close to that.

• seal layers of mashed avocado as thin as you can in in a vacuum chamber. Season with lime and a tiny bit of salt.
  • flush the oxygen, replace with nitrogen, lower the temp to say 40F, and decrease the pressure to say 1/4 atmosphere.
  • wait say four hours, increase pressure to 1 atmosphere, remove.

What we are going for is to remove about a quarter of the water, and to resist oxidation. Mix with a tablespoon of queso fresco, and serve.

1 Like

…green mole? See, this is why I never, ever, ever even consider myself a good cook–i didn’t know green mole could even exist. Is it tomatillos?

1 Like

Quite honestly, I didn’t know it did, either. I was trying to think of a unique guac recipe and I thought “I like guacamole, and I like mole sauce… what about a guaca-MOLE?” and then realized that mixing brown mole sauce into guac would look like ass. So I googled and found green mole. It’s roasted/charred tomatillos, garlic, pepitas, cilantro, chicken broth, and onion whizzed in a blender, more or less. Very different than the dark, chocolatey moles I’m used to; the ground up pumpkin seeds thicken it. (EDIT: for the record, guacamole is better without this stuff mixed into it.)

4 Likes