NYC HR manager sued her 12-year-old nephew for $127,000 over flying hug that broke her wrist

Also, perhaps a script for this stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alendronic_acid

2 Likes

Former insurance adjuster (property) here. Granted, I’m in Canada, and somewhat less clear on US insurance law, but I never ever saw a subrogation suit that wasn’t Company A v. Company B.

4 Likes

Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life. Welcome.

This is Tranya. I hope you relish it as much as I.

Me -

2 Likes

Don’t fall for it. Clearly she’s running a long con: she filed this suit and made those absurd comments in order to get some random person reading about her angry enough to punch her in the face, so she can sue them for real.

11 Likes

This kid got the best judicial defense money can’t buy: A raging asshat for the plaintiff.

2 Likes

She’s always been a very aggressive litigator.

9 Likes

I thought so until I read about the child’s family situation.

what if there is no company B though?

Then one Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy is going to be out of a job…

6 Likes

I am very confused by this. The facts are so slim that it’s hard to tell what is going on. Here’s the options:

a) Worst aunt ever, flaming hors d’oeuvre loving bitch
b) Some kind of insurance thing AKA money + policy requirements
c) Some kind of inheritance laws thing AKA money + she’s still a bitch
or
d) There’s a whole bunch of facts missing from the article

I’m voting d.

14 Likes

Exactly. This woman sued, not her insurance company, which probably wouldn’t have touched it with a ten-foot pole.

Highly unlikely. With subrogation, the insurance company does all of the work. Your name doesn’t even appear in the lawsuit except (IIRC) as an assignee, since most policies require you to do so. Then they have to subpeona you, and if you really don’t want your kid nephew to be lose the case, then you can wreck their case without even telling a lie. If you read her statements, this case waited a few years before she attempted to collect. Very coincidentally within the realm of time that a final disposition of the mother’s estate might have been resolved.

EDIT:

NOPE. I was mistaken. In CT, the insurance company isn’t named. She was going for the homeowner’s insurance. It’s not subrogation at all. Her nephew was never on the hook.

9 Likes

IAAL and this is certainly right. Insurance is often the only pile of money to go after.

2 Likes

Her lawyer’s comment, from that link:

[quote]From the start, this was a case was about one thing: getting medical bills paid by homeowner’s insurance. Our client was never looking for money from her nephew or his family. It was about the insurance industry and being forced to sue to get medical bills paid. She suffered a horrific injury. She had two surgeries and is potentially facing a third. Prior to the trial, the insurance company offered her one dollar. Unfortunately, due to Connecticut law, the homeowner’s insurance company could not be identified as the defendant.

Our client was very reluctant to pursue this case, but in the end she had no choice but to sue the minor defendant directly to get her bills paid. She didn’t want to do this anymore than anyone else would. But her hand was forced by the insurance company. We are disappointed in the outcome, but we understand the verdict. Our client is being attacked on social media. Our client has been through enough[/quote]

Sigh… America, this is why you need to get your fucking shit together with medical insurance. A nephew enthusiastically hugs his aunt, resulting in accidentally breaking her wrist. She gets billed $130k to fix it, and her options are:
1 - (likely) face complete financial ruin, or at the very least financial hardship for many years to come.
2 - sue her nephew in order to go after the home owner’s insurance to get them to pay for it, due to stupid rules that mean the insurance company can’t be named as a defendent.

Also, a good case of “Don’t judge somebody based on internet outrage without knowing all the facts”. Another missing fact: she’s not actually even his aunt (source)- he is the son of her cousin, though he calls her “Auntie Jen”. My kids call any of our friends “Aunt/Uncle [insert name]”, so that’s not a surprise. Though it would be something that most journalists should have picked up on.

18 Likes

Is it any surprise that a state with a population of 93.2% (statistic fabricated) insurance companies / employees would have weird laws favoring insurance companies…?

3 Likes

It’s not insidious. It they still have to pay, but technically she is suing the minor for negligence because insurance would cover that. I don’t like the state of insurance in this country any more than anyone else, but the insurance would protect the kid from paying damages, it doesn’t become the entity responsible for the damages, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Right… But if she was suing an insurance company, instead of a 12 year old boy, I think the outcome would have been much different.

3 Likes

The linked article is very good and gives way more 411 than BoingBoing’s:

10 Likes

That’s a good point, and yet;

and

Now maybe you have to play hardball and appear uncaring in the court in order to secure a win, but it really doesn’t look good once it all comes out in the wash.

4 Likes

Well, if she’s forced to sue the child for negligence in order to go after the insurance company, she can’t very well say in court “He wasn’t negligent, but this is the only way I can get his dad’s insurance company to pay for my injuries”. She actually has to try to win a negligence case against him, which requires her to say stupid shit like that.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t she be covered by some sort of medicaid in her HR job? It’s a fucked-up situation to have to pay your medical bills through home insurance.