NYPD arrest human rights lawyer for waiting outside a restaurant while her kids used the bathroom

Wouldn’t that be a function of the attitude of the courts and judges and prison-industrial complex, rather than the police officers interacting with the public?

… of which the police is part of.

To spare myself typing out everything myself I just point to a recent BB article:

The Source is this:

2 Likes

They are!? Well whadda ya know. /s ( :slight_smile: )

You contend that the police in Russia are less fascist than the police in the USA and use the prison population as evidence.

Now, if your contention was that the prison-industrial complex (including the courts) was less fascistic, I might be inclined to agree with you within certain limits.

However, I don’t see how the fascistic behaviour of cops in their interactions with people is measured by the strength of lobbying for a given industry within Russia as compared to the States.

It’s true. And corporations over individuals. And authorities in general, over the people they supposedly serve. And then say the most disrespectful, hateful garbage about the President as if they are entitled to that behavior.

1 Like

Clearly she forgot that women only have Constitutional rights if they are within 100 feet of their husband.

4 Likes

Overall, I agree with your sentiments, but, having lived in Russia, I find your closing line indicating that American cops are more abusive, fascistic, corrupt, and racist than cops in Russia is completely fucking bananacakes.

11 Likes

Hmmm. I wonder why intelligent, alert, confident minorities are also subject to racial profiling.

We don’t know it was ever relayed to the police. But even if her occupation was relayed after her arrest, it certainly played no role in her arrest, so I’m also unsure why it is being used as a point of contention in the headline.

What’s the unreasonable condition? That an investment banker would talk on their phone outside their place of work (possibly while smoking)? Or that it’s more difficult to recognize an expensive suit than it is to evaluate the intelligence of a person of color from how they wait for someone?

2 Likes

Sorry? What, exactly, looks “Muslim” about her? And even if she did look “Muslim”, it’s still a gross infringement of her human rights to arrest her for doing nothing. I guess you’re just trying to put yourself into the officers’ heads, but you should be careful not to slip and fall into the abyss of post hoc rationalisation.

2 Likes

I think bwv is arguing that the cops seem to be racist assholes rather than random assholes.

In order to do community policing, we have to hire people who don’t default to bigoted, bullying authoritarianism.

5 Likes

This is a great idea. If we select members of the police like we do members of a jury, the occupation can’t select for those who favor strong-arm authoritarianism.

TV news might get weirder though.

You shouldn’t need to explain. That’s the point.

9 Likes

And a lot of the on-the-job police deaths come as a result of them driving around all day, not from violence. i.e. a lot of police deaths could be prevented by walking.

4 Likes

Maybe. I mean, it is suspicious that the police just happened to arrest someone on trumped-up charges who had been a thorn in their side.

5 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve never been to New York, so I was unaware that standing on a sidewalk was a dangerous crime there. Scary!

11 Likes

Though if we’re going to have roads and motor vehicles, we do need police cars. While I can’t quote any data on this, I imagine most police driving deaths aren’t from the sort of driving that could be replaced by foot patrols (cruising around slowly). They’re from either a crash while responding to an incident or involved in a pursuit, or from being rear-ended at high speed while pulled over.

I have had a few trips to the bathroom for which I should probably have been arrested.

Luckily, candles were deployed.

2 Likes

Maybe I am projecting, but I cannot imagine that she was trying to ‘make a point’. If your family has just gone into a restaurant to go to the bathroom, I don’t think you’d be thinking of doing some civil disobedience in the 5 minutes while they’re away. Remember, the whole thing took a maximum of about that long - you don’t leave a family member alone if you think they’re at risk of being arrested and by the time the family had come out, the police had already taken her away. She isn’t some teenager with nothing to lose, she has a reputation and responsibility to her family and we should assume that if she took her young children to the protest, she wasn’t intending to cause trouble or get arrested during the day. As a human rights lawyer and protester, she would be well aware of her limits and wouldn’t be egging the police on. As it is, it seems that her children got a valuable lesson about democracy that day.

9 Likes