NYPD arrest human rights lawyer for waiting outside a restaurant while her kids used the bathroom

I don’t have brown skin but my wife did keep her surname, and the amount of stinkeye we get when trying to do basic tasks is pretty comical. Basically any account created in her name I am completely stonewalled from making any queries on, and vice versa.

When single, I had no idea a matching surname was treated as proof of consent to manage someone’s accounts.

It’s generated some odd conversations too, people get seriously confused when they make assumptions and type in the same names and we have to correct them on our names.

12 Likes

Roofers. It’s more dangerous to be a roofer. Or a lumberjack.

How about they protect and serve the people, not just freak out and be paranoid. De-escalate.

Because right now those cops just cost the city five million dollars, not including legal fees. That’s five million the police department could have spent on other things to actually protect officers, like a few more officers, or body armor, or better training.

7 Likes

The Ruby Tuesday’s is right across from Red Lobster. So, obviously, the Crips part of Times Square,

3 Likes

My sister-in-law got dropped from my brother’s health insurance because they didn’t have matching last names.

3 Likes

Errr… what?

If I know someone is a “human rights lawyer” and I want to retaliate against them, my approach is going to be a bit more sophisticated than arresting them for a clearly non-arrestable “offense.”

Given the recent money paid out to solve legal issues to photographers who just had their cameras taken from them and other similar cases, the typical payout for high-profile wrongful arrests is about five million these days.

1 Like

That’s adorable. Your profile picture is your dad, right?

3 Likes

Freakonomics posits that it was due to the legalization of abortion.

2 Likes

Did they violate her rights?
I do believe that y’all are missing the big question that preoccupies NYPD’s leaders – did any cops embarrass the NYPD by tweeting something stupid about the arrest?
http://boingboing.net/2014/09/05/nypds-remedial-twitter-schoo.html

2 Likes

Especially if you are officer intelligent enough grab recording devices and disable the video (but not the audio) and think the whole thing legal [link above].

When you’re white, you’re allowed to go outside just to be outside. When you’re black, you’re allowed to go outside so you can move from place to place, but you’re not to remain outside.

7 Likes

Wow!

Civil suit. Set for life. Way to go NYC!

(And they wonder why tourism numbers are declining in the USA. No one likes you!)

3 Likes

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article240.htm#p240.20

S 240.20 Disorderly conduct.
A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause
public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk
thereof:

1. He engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening
    behavior; or
  2. He makes unreasonable noise; or
  3. In a public place, he uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an
    obscene gesture; or
  4. Without lawful authority, he disturbs any lawful assembly or
    meeting of persons; or
  5. He obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or
  6. He congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to
    comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; or
  7. He creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act
    which serves no legitimate purpose.
    Disorderly conduct is a violation.

Emphasis mine. Nice little bullshit law you can arrest anyone you feel like for.

4 Likes

Seems pretty clear that the law does not apply to women…

13 Likes

No wonder these fellows can not take the time to solve small crimes they are too busy harassing lawful citizens or shooting unarmed black people or just showing how badass they can be driving around in a tank.

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is anything close to accurate, so I’m going to ask for a citation or two.

That’s why she told him she wasn’t in anyone’s way or obstructing traffic.

1 Like

If one of the cops really did say “In America wives take the names of their husbands” then YES, it most certainly sounds like her gender played a part in her treatment.

12 Likes

Yes, but they’ll still detain you for it, even though it’s horseshit, if they decide they want to fuck with you.

In the NYC projects, you can be charged with obstructing pedestrian traffic for stopping in front of your own building at 1AM after a shift at work, resting briefly on an empty street after walking the dog.

In the case referred to here, the guy forced them to write him up after they detained him, and the case was summarily dismissed by the judge.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m glad my wife didn’t take my name. I wasn’t finished using it.

7 Likes