Oath Keepers Stewart Rhodes is sentenced to 18 years for Jan. 6 "seditious conspiracy"

the evidence that he knew exactly what he was doing is strong. He’s a veteran who attempted a coup. It was treason. 18 years isn’t enough time.

22 Likes

Keeping these stats is awesome. Maybe they should also include the date of when they start their sentence. Not sure about this one-eyed domestic terrorist, but the convicted con artist Liz Holmes got convicted, then it took, what, months for her to start doing hard time?

5 Likes

This old story
says that Watkins and Harrellson will be sentenced tomorrow, and that Caldwell was to be sentenced yesterday. Megg’s sentencing was scheduled for today.

12 Likes

Every time I see his picture I giggle, because I know he shot himself in the eye.

14 Likes

Yeah, how’zabout they collar ol’ Roger Stone in the next round-up?

Then Meadows, Eastman, Rudy…

13 Likes

and now, the metaphorical foot.

6 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing Kelli

Joining Welcome Home GIF

11 Likes

Yeah, you have to be careful with those Red Ryder BB guns.

7 Likes

The “terrorism” enhancement worked. In the sentencing memo, the government asks for six points to be added to his offense level, raising his offense from 33 (135–168 months/11.25–14 years) to level 39 (262-327 months/21.9–27.25 years)

In the end, Rhodes received a 216 month sentence-- so it was terrorism-enhanced. On the other hand, the government could theoretically have requested up to a 12 point departure. Anything above 42 comes with a life sentence.

US v. Rhodes - gov sentencing memo

Sentencing Table

BTW

§2M1.1. Treason
(a) Base Offense Level:

1. (1) 43, if the conduct is tantamount to waging war against the United States;
  2. (2) the offense level applicable to the most analogous offense, otherwise.
10 Likes

Every state in the US now has a no-fault divorce statute. Many states still also have fault divorce, but no-fault divorce is available everywhere. The last holdout was, interestingly, New York, which enacted its no-fault divorce statute just in 2010.

13 Likes

Even better:

The year was 1993, he was working as a firearms instructor when he dropped a loaded gun which went off and shot him in the eye.

That might be apocryphal. But I do believe it in my heart to be true.

14 Likes

That’s fair. I was referring more to , she might be in a state or situation where a judge is denying her divorce for reasons. I meant more the “True” no fault divorce states, where you can choose to not list a reason for the divorce.

2 Likes

New York had contractual divorce. If a separation agreement is entered into by both spouses it converted to an official divorce after a set time. No Fault divorce without actually calling it that.

3 Likes

And what I’m saying is every state in the US now has that option. There is nowhere where you can’t do that.

4 Likes

And what I’m saying is there are still plenty of states where judges will deny a divorce if it’s the wife filing it. I lived in one. I’ve watched women friends where I grew up get told by a judge that “they need to be subserviant to their husband and the divorce is denied.”

I don’t know why this divorce is pending , but I do know that the system is generally not fair to abused women.

7 Likes

“The moment you are released, whenever that may be, you will be ready to take up arms against your government,” The judge said, via ABC.

If 18 years isn’t long enough to achieve rehabilitation, shouldn’t the sentence have been longer, your Honor?

4 Likes

… Rhodes looks like every slimy criminal on every episode of every cop show

6 Likes

Those were pre-sentencing remarks. This thread quotes liberally from Mehta’s admonitions.

7 Likes

IMG_2824

Well, at least that’s a good thing in this particular case.

11 Likes

And with a .22 caliber at that.
Is the macho black eyepatch for fooling his followers or himself?
What a doofus.

4 Likes