Obama endorses Clinton in online video, and urges Democratic Party to unite

Clinton started with a large lead that was only slowly and fitfully gained on by Sanders but never surpassed. The party leaders weren’t going to tell the person with the most support that they should ignore their larger constituency because a minority of people really would like that. That’s not how things work or how things should work.

4 Likes

Are you trying to be clever, or are you misspelling a cliché?

6 Likes

Then you have to live with the fact that the “blessed” candidate may lose.

2 Likes

Nonsense. In many respects Howard Dean was the Bernie Sanders of 2004. His campaign pioneered internet-based fundraising and grassroots organizing techniques that became staples of later elections. Like Sanders, he lost his primary bid to a more centrist candidate. Dean’s loss to Kerry and Kerry’s loss to Bush didn’t break the party.

4 Likes

1] You’re keenly thought through plan / argument is that the USA let Trump take the reins?
2] Burn the US political system to the ground and let it all shake out?

Yes Sir or Madam, you are selling, selling “crazy”, and I for one ain’t buying it.

Adios.

7 Likes

Dean never got the traction that Sander’s got, and Dean never brought a totally new body of voters to the party. And who was your magic spoiler for Gore? There are no parallels there. Give it up.

Clinton comes into the convention the weakest candidate in recent history.

1 Like

The crazy is coming from you. All I am saying is that leadership of the Dem party that fails badly is replaced. As it should be.

1 Like

I voted for Bernie Sanders, but I’m not naive enough to think that his loss to Hillary is both wholly unprecedented and the greatest injustice in the history of American politics. Principled idealists lose to disappointingly centrist pragmatists all the time.

16 Likes

Sure they do. And sometimes it goes upside down on the Centrist Pragmatists. Karma’s tough.

1 Like

Are you white?

8 Likes

I would have gained some respect if he was honest with something like, “We all know she is a horrible person, impossible to work with, and has a disdain for her fellow man only matched by the Elder Gods. But she is our horrible person who is impossible to work with…”

3 Likes

At no time and place did Bernie Sanders ever advocate for what you are saying, this is completely your projection & making of the outcome of our US POTUS Primary.

2 Likes

Please explain. I really want to hear your logic of why Clinton will be worse for this country than Trump.

5 Likes

15 Likes

[quote=“lava, post:5, topic:79465”]
Its absolutely right, and thats why a Clinton victory is even more dangerous than all the perils of a Trump victory.[/quote]

How you can tell someone is a bigoted white male in one easy step: when they act like having the rights of women and minorities set back 100 years in a Trump presidency is worth it.

12 Likes

Maybe such a shock to the status quo will be enough to get these women and minorities off their backs and into the polis…

1 Like

Sanders’ platforms will inform 2016, faithfuls, and now we must defeat Trump…

He must not POTUS, friends, and we must unite behind that premise.

Under God.

:wink:

2 Likes

I saw this movie when people swore that Reagan being elected would surely lead to a progressive backlash & him being swept out of office. And replaced by the most progressive people ever!

It’s juvenile nonsense. You get more when you win & can push the winners further in your direction.

Having been involved in passing several transgender nondiscrim bills - and seeing the difference between generic R’s & generic D’s in office - I know who I’d rather live under for four years. If I’m allowed to live.

You may be in a more comfortable position than I & able to take that four year or eight year risk. How nice for you!

21 Likes

Can’t you just hear the teeth grit?

To me it seems that this race, for better or for worse, has revealed that there is a lot to discuss, and my fear is that when it’s over, the discussion will die.

In any case Bernie has said he’ll take the race to the convention no matter what. He’s going to lose no matter what. The purpose of his efforts is to carry enthusiasm for his platform as far as possible in the hopes that it will impact policy considerations down the road. Then I’d be incredibly surprised if he didn’t support Clinton in the end, he’s made that pretty clear. I’m not inclined to go that route myself, but I understood that was likely early on in his campaign.

Party unity is a weird concept to me, somewhat. To me it sounds too much like party loyalty. Don’t get me wrong, if people are going to vote for HRC, I disagree but at this juncture I understand it. But if pressed the reasons turn out to have nothing to do with “party unity” and a lot more to do with “I fucking hate Trump.” I respect that position a lot more than appeals to party unity. Parties are supposed to be loyal to the people they represent, not the other way around.

18 Likes

I’ll bet you a few nice single malts that Bernie will endorse Hillary by the end of next week.

Not fair on my part - I win either way.

2 Likes