Oblivious man walks out of 75-day silent retreat and tweets 'Did I miss anything?'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/oblivious-man-walks-out-of-75.html

10 Likes

Not sure if he’s lucky or cursed.

12 Likes

He could get a good start by watching these two videos…

21 Likes

I’d be tempted to re-supply and go back for another 2 and a half months

47 Likes

This makes me think of that scene from Avengers: Endgame where Scott Lang emerges from the quantum realm a few years after the Thanos incident.

22 Likes

Man, I so want to be him! Blissful ignorance would be a blessing at times.

14 Likes

No, it’s more like the alternate ending to Army of Darkness.

18 Likes

Ignorance is bliss?

4 Likes

I was thinking of “Earth Abides”. The main dude gets bit by a snake, and after a period of delirium, emerges to a world where most humans are dead.

4 Likes

14 Likes

In mid-March it was already clear that the pandemic would rip through America to anyone who paid attention. At least on that matter he really has no excuse to act surprised.

19 Likes

Yeah, I half expected to read that the reason he went on the retreat was to avoid the health scare and he had just underestimated how long it would last. And then he comes out in the middle of a race riot.

2 Likes

What!?! I never saw that!

2 Likes

gets texts back or opens news website (kinda want to do this until December but imagine trump with nothing to lose anymore and access to nuclear football)

giphy

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly. Seems more attention seeking than a realistic awe. Or maybe he needed the retreat to be less self absorbed. I’m probably being too harsh but my bs meter is bliping.

12 Likes

Even more surprising, he didn’t understand why everyone didn’t like his refrain of “Long Live King George!”. Oh wait, that was Rip Van Winkle.

2 Likes

Yes - seems either disingenuous, or just being funny (I can see saying something like this just for the ridiculousness).

4 Likes

I knew shit was going down 75 days ago (20 March), even 106 days ago (20 Feb), so colour me skeptical of the claim. He’d be more credible had he gone secluded around 20 Jan. News and political cartoons from then seem so naive now.

5 Likes

I call Shenanigans. No way this is true.

3 Likes

In this particular instance, it was 75 days prior to May 23. Which was March 9.
And yes, things were starting to get weird, but… It was hard to tell exactly how much without some hindsight. I had gone to a live show two days prior to that. I didn’t cancel our May vacation till April 27.

6 Likes