Odd Stuff (Part 5)

16 Likes

“Pronouncing names like “Elizabeth” as “Lee-Zoo-Beth,” the unidentified speaker mispronounced the monikers of several nursing graduates, who hesitated to walk across the stage at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

The verbal mishaps were due to “the way phonetic spellings were presented on the speaker’s cards, which was noted when the presenter apologized during the ceremony,” according to university officials.

Thomas Jefferson graduate TJ Canevari said it was far from a lighthearted moment. “I honestly felt very disrespected and unappreciated after all the hard work, money, and time we gave to the university,” Canevari said. “It was just really disappointing.””

“Canevari corrected the speaker, who pronounced his first name “Thomas” as “Too-Moo-May,” said the mispronunciation of names continued for about 30 minutes.”

Mispronouncing Thomas at Thomas Jefferson University? :person_facepalming:

12 Likes

…and here I’d thought it tragic that the idiot who handed an ex his diploma called him “Seen.”

His name is Sean.

6 Likes

“Perhaps fishing should have been banned on the bridge during the race in such strong winds, or a greater distance put between fishermen and runners. Well, that’s something to look back on,” Latsepov said.

9 Likes

It is a good thing the fisherman was required to throw him back so he could finish the race.

18 Likes

7 Likes

They even make rose shaped ice molds

13 Likes

We have that Death Star ice mould and Vader’s head, too!

11 Likes
4 Likes

24 Likes
17 Likes

The 62-year-old supporter of neo-Nazi groups was born and raised in New York City as Harold Nathan Braunhut, a Jew.

Harold von Braunhut (Thomas Lennon), creator of dubious products like Sea Monkeys and X-Ray Spex marketed to kids in small ads at the back of comic books. With a strong German accent and occasional wistful references to Germany before WWII, von Braunhut seems to be wrestling with an urge to give a Nazi salute as much as Dr. Strangelove or The Producers’ deranged Nazi playwright Franz Liebkind.

No idea if that means anything.

6 Likes

20 Likes

Well this is a weird thing…

3 Likes

Offerings to the blood gods

18 Likes

It seems an odd stylistic choice for an official portrait.
“We must have something exemplifying the gravitas and glory of royalty!”

“How about formal uniform but saturated in blood? And a butterfly”

“Perfect!”

11 Likes

Cross posted in the always cause arguments thread.

Discussion over!

14 Likes

I had to change my reaction from :open_mouth: to :thinking:. It actually has grown on me (over two whole minutes of reflection) and it’s painted in a style that I actually prefer. I’m guessing Charles knew what he was going to get with the artist and was good with it.

10 Likes

Just emailed this to my usual suspects, w/the Subject line, “Kind of a Night Gallery-esque vibe innit.”

7 Likes

As Formally Requested by Our Own Personal Historian:
8390_2a9a

8392_4772

8647_69e1

8384_cf21

8389_2628

8395_cc2d

8645_e09d

8397_de7d

8642_868e

8404_e4d0