Odd Stuff (Part 5)

4 Likes

I had a Báthory-bathing-in-blood vibe when I first saw this. I haven’t changed that thought yet.

On a painting criticism I don’t mind the face, but the hands really are undead.

5 Likes

There is a UK court order in place until the outcome of her appeal.
I don’t know all the details.
Private Eye, which has a whole page every fortnight dedicated to our NHS, written by someone with the pseudonym MD, has had to postpone MD’s article on the matter for this reason.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Hemophilia tends to run in european royalty

6 Likes

Two thoughts:

• What happens when that EMP hits other things? (Pacemakers!)
  • How hard is it to add shielded wiring to ebikes?
12 Likes

What happens when they’re generally available and people point them at cars? Cop cars? Ambulances? Cop radios? The cop shop’s computers?

12 Likes

Pointing something with a chunky coil barrel at a cop car probably will get a reaction. :thinking:

9 Likes

These are pretty delightful!

17 Likes

25 Likes

20 Likes

Well, quite…

:grinning:

7 Likes
7 Likes

(Some) additional information, links:

[…]
NPCC chair Gavin Stephens told media: “Basically, it interferes with the electric motor, to trick the electric motor into thinking it is overheating. It sends a signal to confuse the electric motor. All these electric motors apparently have an inbuilt safety system that if it thinks it’s overheating, it shuts down. At the minute, it’s like a ginormous backpack.”

Under the oversight of the NPCC’s chief scientific adviser, cops aim to have a weapon that is harmless to humans and other electronic devices. Because you don’t want to accidentally brick a Tesla in the act of disabling a crook on an e-scooter, though there’s a strong argument to be made that this counts as acceptable collateral damage.

Less acceptable would be to zap an elderly person with a pacemaker.

A victim of the crime told The Register: "From my London experience as a victim of phone theft by an e-bike and having witnessed it happen to others, I welcome this if it ends up being a practical ‘hit of a button’ solution and the motor shuts down. However, if they have to charge/setup the EMP and if the range is short, given how swift these criminals are on their e-wheels, this might not be effective at all.
[…]

4 Likes

7 weeks and while the remains of the bridge are being blown apart over the ship!?

9 Likes

Whoa, I thought companies learned how quickly isolation can become harmful to the crew of a ship during the pandemic:

:cry:

12 Likes

What the actual fuck?!?!

10 Likes

Sometimes a greased obelisk is just a cigar.

8 Likes

… freedom intensifies, presumably

7 Likes

… the world has long considered sailors subhuman

9 Likes