Odd Stuff (Part 5)

Give your garden that little extra nuclear boost!

14 Likes

Did y’all know you can still get a victrola? And it plays vinyl, CDs, casettes and bluetooth…

flea-market vintage GIF by Kitsune Kowai

10 Likes

I picked up a little Victrola bluetooth radio for the kitchen earlier this year. It’s not great. The sound goes out randomly (or drastically changes volume). Messing with the volume dial will usually fix it. Sometimes it needs to be turned off and back on again. It looks pretty cool, though!

5 Likes

Is yours just a bluetooth and radio? I wonder if different products by them are any better.

3 Likes

Yep, it has FM radio, bluetooth, and 3.5 mm aux in, but no cassette or record players. It’s pretty little. Their other stuff might be better, and mine might just be a lemon. I looked around online a while back and didn’t find anyone with the same issue.

3 Likes

Weird… it always sucks when you put your hard earned down for something and it doesn’t work as promised… I feel like with enshittification that’s happening more often than not now-a-days… I do like the fact that this one has a cassette player, too. I miss playing tapes, probably more than other formats.

3 Likes

Do you want Night of the Lepus?, because that’s how you get Night of the Lepus.

6 Likes

Beginning in the 1950s, atomic gardens were a part of “Atoms for Peace”, an American program to develop peaceful uses of fission energy after World War II.

6 Likes

Okay, I was obviously not paying enough attention.

3 Likes

It even played a major role in a popular play and movie.

6 Likes

We had to buy specific brands of bottled water when visiting Jamaica.

The tap water at the first hotel where we stayed messed me up, even after boiling it to make tea. Mom wasn’t affected by it, but b/c I was, she quit drinking it, too.

I had no problems with tea nor ice water at restaurants.

Mom, weirdly, was affected by one of the brands of bottled water we got, but I was fine with all of them! When it happened to her, we were thankful for having bought three or four different brands; she was fine with the rest. I think we decided to water one of the mango trees with the offending jug.

On our way home from our 2nd or 3rd trip there, airport staff handed out tourist questionnaires. They were inquiring whether any digestive difficulties (intestinal iniquities, as it were) had been experienced during any visit to The Island. It was an issue the health and water ministries claimed they were determined to correct, but we never heard any more about it. Out of an abundance of caution we kept buying jugs of water. Immodium and the like are expensive AF there, for one thing.

7 Likes

… a local restaurant has one of these as their sound system, not sure which one

https://www.jbl.com/party-speakers/PARTYBOX-ON-THE-GO-.html

https://www.jbl.com/party-speakers/PARTYBOX-ON-THE-GO-ESSENTIAL.html

It works pretty well — I thought the music must be coming from hidden speakers in the ceiling

3 Likes
12 Likes
6 Likes

Real shit

6 Likes

Make sure you use a coaster on the coffee strandbeest

12 Likes

:hushed: :thinking:

10 Likes

Yup! Got one for Kidd Jr earlier this year for his birthday so he could finally listen to his Tame Impala LPs that he bought with his x-mas money. :joy:

6 Likes
1 Like
12 Likes