Oklahoma woman, 84 and black, pepper-sprayed by police in her own home

I voted for a mayor who said he’d curb stuff like this in my city.

I don’t live near this woman, a letter is useless, a conversation with whom?, an argument on the internet?, graffiti because I want a criminal record?

Do you have any practical, effective strategies for effecting change among people who don’t give a shit what I think or do to protest? Should I write my congressman?

11 Likes

That’s a feature, not a bug.

Do we add 84-year old black wimmin to the list?

6 Likes

Consider contacting:

Southern Poverty Law Center

They may have some next steps that are reality-based. I am grateful for their committed, ongoing work in some very difficult areas.

Bryan Stevenson…

in his book Just Mercy

lists positive, thoughtful next steps in the back of his book. I read this book in July. It was a revelation, a report from utterly depressing territory, and in a few places surprisingly upbeat in the face of so much injustice for so long to so many people.

Deep respect for Mr. Stevenson’s work. His is a light in our cosmos, and we are lucky to have him. Sharp and focused, with his humanity intact in spite of a surreal number of obstacles.

5 Likes

What the fuck? What becomes of these fucking five chuckleheads? The ones who started out making a mistake, then when faced with the fact they’ve made a mistake, double down, and then execute violence on people because they’re confused?

Here, if I were chief of police, and this happened in my precinct? I’d fire these cops. I’d fire them. I wouldn’t give a fuck about the union. The police unions all claim to be about training and holding cops to a higher standard. Well, I’d tell the union boss “you can all walk out. I don’t care. Because if you’re willing to protect these fuckwits, then, you’re not fit to protect the public. Which is your real job.” They can all get in line at the unemployment office.

12 Likes

Clarification please:

The car was not registered to Mr. Blackman, later investigation revealed.

The car they saw break the law was not driven by Mr Blackman and they were in the wrong house entirely, or The car Mr Blackman was driving was stolen?

Not that driving a stolen car justifies assaulting a granny, but if the former it just files on the fuck up.

2 Likes

What does it matter to the pigs? They got to brutalize a helpless person, then “defend themselves”, and they probably will get paid time off for it, then be allowed to go right back to their jobs. At worst, they might be forced into “early retirement”, where they’ll get to collect 80% of their pensions and apply to do the exact same job they’ve proven themselves unfit for in other cities and counties, where they will not be background checked properly, hired on with a rubber stamp, and be allowed to abuse and contuse all over again.

4 Likes

Why even stop and ticket? They have the licence plate, just send a ticket in the mail to the registered owner. If it works for red-light cameras, seriously, running a stop sign is a much less serious offence. This idea that police must confront drivers who commit minor infractions is stupid and clearly a gateway for discrimination and selective enforcement (not to mention illegal searches, asset forfeiture etc. etc.).

9 Likes

As a rule, you need some evidence of who a driver is to stick someone with a moving violation. What if the vehicle’s registered to two people. Do they both get points on their record? The law will usually treat ownership as some evidence of being the driver, but not enough by itself for a conviction. (Typically, they make some attempt to match the driver in red-light camera photographs to driver’s licence photographs. People contest the match in court now and then.)

If you make the offense entirely administrative (noncriminal), then you maybe can send out citations based on the registration alone.

2 Likes

That’s some fine Broken Widows policing,

First you make widows out of the women, then you break the widows?

2 Likes

Indeed. Plus, “less-lethal” becomes less less-lethal when you start using it on 84-year-olds, whether we are talking pepper spray or electric weapons.

6 Likes

RIght. So when something terrible like this takes place, we all need to stop being so fake and upset about it if we aren’t in a position to actually change the the entire nations police culture. Only the people with the power to change the world are allowed to be outraged.
I don’t think you thought this through very well.

5 Likes

Like expressing your anger online at the forum where you were first confronted with the information? Will that do or is that also fake?

4 Likes

H.R. 5221, sponsored by Wisconsin’s Rep. Gwen Moore, would require police to be trained in de-escalation techniques and dealing with people of impaired mental status. It would also require police departments across the country to adopt policies creating an affirmative duty for officers to use de-escalation techniques. Departments would have to eliminate context-blind policies like the “21-foot rule,” which allows officers to shoot anyone holding something in their hand if they are closer than 21 feet to the officer.

8 Likes

These actions reveal the purest racism - a total belief in the subhumanity of the other

Please, FSM, make hell exist!

There are people who need it.

I would love to see zealous traffic enforcement in my municipality, but this is not how you do it :frowning:

Running red lights is bad, no argument, but I think these fine officers were troubled by something…darker

“Upon arrival at the hospital, she was punched in the face a few times, just to be sure.”

1 Like

Just another isolated incident.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.