Oktoberfest waitress carries 13 beer mugs without a tray and makes it look easy (video)

I’m not much of a beer person. May I just have some schnapps?

7 Likes

I’ve been to Oktoberfest in Munich…several times. I know how heavy those steins are, full and empty. I have nothing but respect and awe for the servers there.

Schitts Creek Wow GIF by CBC

13 Likes

I have awe for the drinkers there!

Bob MacKenzie: [to Pam in a beer tank that’s being flooded with beer] My brother and I used to say that drownin’ in beer was like heaven, eh? Now he’s not here, and I’ve got two soakers… this isn’t heaven. This sucks!

8 Likes

It’s a good thing they’re only 75%full, or there’d be some spillage.

6 Likes

cbc bathroom GIF by Kim's Convenience

5 Likes

I know it’s Canada, but what is Oktoberfest without Bob & Doug?

7 Likes

dude, come join the 21st century. You can now get THC-high with vapes and PILLS. Not even gummies. Fucking PILLS.

I never want to taste burning leaves again.

3 Likes

Next time you have to let me know and we can have an Augustiner or two together. Munich has been my home town for a dozen years now. It may be expensive, but I love the city.

Even during the Wies’n. All the cool things I now take for granted.

4 Likes

My dad still cracks walnuts when he can easily buy the shelled kind in a bag. It may be a throwback, but it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

11 Likes

One litre or two?

4 Likes

I really like schnapps. Make it two…or can I get one liter of each of two flavors?

4 Likes

I’ve currently got these on special at work, and I used to hold and judge Masskrugstemmen qualifiers at a previous job.

It’s physically uncomfortable just to pour one of these one handed.

Simply because it’s been drilled into my head by working for German beer brands.

Steins are stoneware or ceramic, and it’s mostly an English language term. Germans apparently call stoneware mugs Humpen.

These are called Mass/Maß, Masskrug/Maßkrug. Roughly pronounced “Mahz”. Or Dimple Mugs in English.

They’re not cut. They’re molded.

The formal weight for a regulation Masskrug is just shy of 3lbs empty, and beer weighs 2.2lbs when full.

The total full weight should be close to 2.25 kilograms, roughly 5lbs.

My “official” competition ready Hofbrau mug is 2lbs 15oz. or 1330g.

And yes they are pretty consistent, and regulated as to how they’re made. Because Germans.

Many for general use or decorative/merch purchases are lighter. IIRC the Hofbrau branded ones are regulation weight and size for competition. And I think the gig was they only send in the Oktoberfest grade ones seasonally, or maybe we just didn’t order them year round. Otherwise it’s a couple of German/Austrian companies. I think Oberglas/Stoetzle primarily, and Rastel.

ETA: If anyone was wondering.

I’m pretty sure Hofbrau uses Rastel mugs. And the model/design name for both Oberglas/Stoetzle and Rastel is Isar. So if you go looking for them you may find them listed as “Isar mugs” or “Isar tankards”.

8 Likes

Bringing the science to a drinking thread. Nerd. :wink:

6 Likes

Will do, though it’s been more than a decade since I’ve been back.

And how did you know my favorite Munich brewery? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It seems I need to introduce you to Giessinger as well. It’s becoming the beer of choice here, but as a small brewery it’s pricier.

4 Likes

I love love love The Boot. I worked at a German deli which had them. I love beer & am a horsewoman, but never did get one.

4 Likes

In my experience living here, Humpen is used at about the same rate as Steinkrug. Neither are officially allowed for selling draft beer, because it’s nigh impossible to see how much is just foam in the mug. Nor is it easy to see if the mug was washed. That’s why glass is used almost exclusively.

If you are into mugs, then you must be aware of the term Keferloher. It’s the sort of mug I use at home… with bottled beer, of course. I don’t have kegs at home. :beers:

6 Likes

Ah, now I wish for a Obergiesinger Erhellung!

I prefer Kolsch Stange.

I have… opinions on glassware. And they run to the minimalist.

But Keferloher are fun, they’re like ren faire grade earthenware mugs. But metric.

And metric beer tastes better.

3 Likes

Das Boot!

DasBoot

2 Likes