On-duty NYPD officers admit handcuffing teenage girl, putting her in van, and having sex with her, but say it wasn't rape

We all know: Don’t have sex with your students. Don’t have sex with your employees. Don’t have sex with your patients.

Somehow we thought it went without saying: Don’t have sex with people you currently have under arrest.

67 Likes

Right there with you.

8 Likes

Here’s the thing, let’s say you can get past standard consent issues and assume this was her desire, Then you’re stuck with the giant consent issues of the massive power imbalance screwing up any notion of consent, but even if you could somehow hand wave that away, you’re stuck with bribery. If I give a cop something of value, like a pile of cash and express a desire not to be under arrest and they accept that cash, they’ve accepted a bribe. There is no way you can twist this where they haven’t committed a massive crime. I have a feeling this might even reach unpaid leave status (later reversed in arbitration).

24 Likes

Grammer

22 Likes

If I give a cop something of value, like a pile of cash and express a desire not to be under arrest and they accept that cash, they’ve accepted a bribe.

That is a marathon effort at victim blaming

5 Likes

Victim blaming? My take away is that at best they are guilty of bribery and at worse guilty of rape.

13 Likes

if it’s bribery, ‘someone’ has to offer a bribe. explicitly services in lieu of cash in the comment i was referring to. That’s an assumption of prostitution. And it’s at least two kinds of victim blaming, as well as objectification.

Turning a situation over and over to make sure some of the blame gets assigned to the victim, for their part.

It revictimizes. Just sayin’

2 Likes

I think he’s just doing what I did, saying, “Just assuming it’s true that it was consensual.” doesn’t in fact make it any better. It’s still wrong on both levels. I didn’t walk away with him actually thinking that was the case. YMMV.

14 Likes

The rapists are on administrative leave. Only their supervisor is on modified duty.

3 Likes

What is so awful here is not just that these cops raped a young woman in their custody, but that it is pretty clear that they believe they will completely get away with it. It’s not like they’ve done a particularly good job of hiding what they did, or even denying that they did it.

This isn’t just about two asshole cops, but about the whole system.

And the worst thing? I think they will get away with it. I will be amazed if they actually face a rape conviction for this.

36 Likes

I would have assumed (ha!) that this was one of those cases where it’s not possible to legally consent. For example;

• teachers having sex with students - it’s doesn’t matter if they’re both into it, it’s still a big NO
  • doctors having sex with patients - it’s doesn’t matter if they’re both into it, it’s still a big NO
  • psychologists having sex with patients - it’s doesn’t matter if they’re both into it, it’s still a big NO

The blatant power disparity between a couple of cops and a young female in custody should make this a NO, regardless of consent … or “consent”.

Edit: to acknowledge I basically just repeated what @anon50609448 wrote. Also @HMSGoose.

27 Likes

And these analogies that we’ve used aren’t even really doing the situation justice. A teacher having sex with an adult student or a doctor having sex with a patient is grounds for professional discipline, and could be sexual assault depending on the circumstances, but an adult is still capable of consent. And I’d say the same about a cop who had sex with someone they had arrested the week before, or a cop having sex with a consenting sex worker where sex work is illegal. It’s skeevy and the circumstances might mean its assault.

But having sex with someone who you currently have under arrest and in handcuffs? Thinking back, a better analogy would be to a doctor who has sex with a patient that they put under for surgery. This is automatically rape every time.

34 Likes

I also think you get fired at most jobs for having secks while on the clock.

18 Likes

Guys its cool, this is just locker room behavior. Boys being boys. It’s not like these officers are criminals. /s

12 Likes

Can we dispense with the “for the sake of argument” bullshit?

The girl was underage.

The girl was under arrest.

The girl was alone handcuffed in a van.

The girl says it wasn’t consensual.

This was rape of a kid. The pigs who raped her deserve the most severe punishment the law allows. Any public prosecutor who refuses to press charges is an accessory to rape of a kid. It needs to be clear to the DA’s office that that will be their reputation when they run for reelection if they fail in their duty to the people of New York.

40 Likes

New definition of nothingness:

The howling void where we would have expected to find these cops’ moral compass, conscience, ethics, and integrity.

7 Likes

Came here to say just that. Seriously, bringing consent into it takes it down to 11 from about 13 on the fucked up meter.

1 Like

This is why protesting injustice and protesting police violence still matters.

This is why athletes don’t stand for the national anthem.

This is why people fly flags upside down or burn them.

This is why every single fucking white lard-ass who practically lives on his couch while gorging on shitty beer and chips and football needs to shut the fuck up with their bullshitty “protesting doesn’t help, it just gets everybody worked up, we all need to calm down” nonsense.

NO, MOTHER-FUCKERS, WE WON’T FUCKING BACK DOWN OR GO SILENT!!!

32 Likes

Can we make sure that child rapists Edward Martins and Richard Hall (after they leave prison) never come into unsupervised contact with children again, please?

And, also, Policemen’s Endowment Association… needs a new name if they’re going to be defending child rapists.

13 Likes

I am sure that they were worried for their life. Saying that is all that it takes.