On-duty NYPD officers admit handcuffing teenage girl, putting her in van, and having sex with her, but say it wasn't rape

Prison? Ha.

Cops face administrative charges instead of criminal charges in cases like this. Worst case is a few weeks of unpaid suspension and “retraining.”

1 Like

Police in recent years have gotten away with choking an unarmed man to death, shooting an unarmed man in the back while he was running away, killing a child with a toy gun, and killing an unarmed man immediately after threatening to kill him ON TAPE. Of course they’ll get away with this. Why wouldn’t they? As bad as this is (and it’s real bad), there have probably been half a dozen cases of police misconduct worse than this in the past year.

12 Likes

That we know of.

Most of this is never exposed.

13 Likes

It’s really self serving, your capacity to see the irony in using a victim of a violent crime further to make a self-serving point in conversation may vary.

Whats an insult atop the injury, anyhow? Surely it helps the victims, your actions. And bothers nobody (nobody important anyhow) - so long as you find it stimulating.

Here’s whats wrong: (i) the criteria for admission to an American police academy, and (ii) the training program of academy students. Here’s the solution: (i) don’t accept the racists and other assholes (it’s called psychological assessment) and (ii) teach them how to de-escalate violent conflicts in a proper way. And don’t waste your money on armor-plated Improvised Explosive Device-proof police cars.

3 Likes

Maybe.

But I’d like to start with punishing heinous acts.

2 Likes

In that case, it would still be nonconsensual.

Those are the symptoms, not the cause.

What’s the cause then, in your book? Police officers raping citizens?

This feels like a similar observable defining event to the NRA post Sandy Hook. A moment where we see if there is a low so low that even the most extreme ideological advocates will wobble in their single mindedness. Like the NRA, who failed every test with predictable hideousness, police unions have crossed so many of these rubicons without flinching. I remain pessimistic.

6 Likes

Fascism.

That, plus militarism, are at the root of the violence in American society.

3 Likes

The victim’s age ultimately doesn’t fucking matter. The power imbalance, alone, makes this rape.

I do hope other young women come forward because the sloppy way these “officers” went about kidnapping and raping a young woman strongly suggests that they’d done it before and were confident they’d face no real consequences.

18 Likes

Side line the Mexico corruption part and narrow down on the police force policy and the results of said policy

3 Likes

Nah they’re on modified duties, which means desk jobs.

Edit: Misread that. You were talking about the punishment, yeah usually its administrative leave. Or they’re fired (or they quit) but no black marks on their record so they’re able to easily get another law enforcement job somewhere else.

2 Likes

I agree it was rape. However, according to the NY Post and NYtimes articles, the victim was not under age. She was 18 years old. Not legally the rape of a child, just plain old (sarcasm) rape. Just barely not rape of a child. It makes me wonder, if she had been 17, would they have still raped her? The bullshit stupid (I do not have enough words) “she consented” lie (because even if she said yes, she still didn’t consent) would be even more bullshit/stupid/more words if she was legally incapable of consent because of her age.

I feel sick.

3 Likes

It’s just a few bad apples…SMH. New York City cops are corrupt.

2 Likes

It’s not like police officers swear to uphold the law, right?

4 Likes

It’s victim blaming only if you ignore everything else said in the post. moortaktheundea is saying that even if what the officers claim was true (of course it can’t be, because she can’t consent in this instance), they are still admitting to a crime. THEY are the ones accusing her of prostitution and that accusation still makes them guilty of accepting a bribe.

I guess you can say that the cops are victim blaming, was that your point?

1 Like

so fucking vile :frowning:

2 Likes

I am not saying consent was involved. I am saying just assuming that there WAS consent, that doesn’t make what happened OK in the least.

1 Like