On the death of Rob Ford

He diagnosed with cancer a few months after he had gotten out of rehab, having apparently cleaned up. So that wasn’t the source of his drug problem.

Based on his absentees from city council, some think his addiction problems got worse around his second year as major. This was around when the city council started turning on him and he started running into more trouble getting bills passed.

4 Likes

Amazing the effect this news had on the exchange rate of Canadian Tire Money.

4 Likes

Let’s set aside speaking ill of the dead (which is irrelevant) and what a horrible person he was: the question in my mind is what makes someone think, "sorry your horrible relative died,’ is an appropriate condolence for anyone. Either gloat or sympathize, but don’t try to backhand one into the other.

3 Likes

the only nice thing i can say, i think, is that i was surprised and saddened that he was so young.

1 Like

Lost two relatives to it so yea. Relevant XKCD time.

4 Likes

While I was reply a dragon was cleaning up all our threads… LOL

Anyway, I had a joke about Canadian Tire money but really it was just an excuse to post a pic of my stash! Lookit! Some of those bills are OLD!

14 Likes

Not in TO. Too many people thought maybe Mammoliti would become less erratic after his brain surgery, but alas, twas not to be.

I mean, his brain surgery was related to cardiovascular issues, but I’d be willing to bet that anyone who knew or knew of Mammoliti heard “Mammoliti” and Brain Surgery" in a sentence or saw it in a headline probably thought “Ohh, huh, no surprise there” and hoped he’d be better, somehow, for it.

But no, he continues apace his asshattery to this day. I’d bet many Torontonians would have considered Ford(s) to be trying to play them even if Ford(s) engaged in 20 years of seemingly Scrooge-like transformation.

1 Like

Ha! Good stuff.

We had about 9 dollars or so when they brought out the plastic cards to replace the cash. Now the kids have the cash because it’s a higher quality of play money than 9 dollars could buy anyway, and they love it.

We even have a 1$ bill. Can’t remember what we bought to get that but it must’ve been something.

2 Likes

Yeah, but only jerks would stoop so low as to make him their avatar, or to make thread names referencing him.

7 Likes

What is that now?

1 Like

I wasn’t offering condolences, since I doubt that Rob Ford’s family are reading this. I wasn’t gloating, either (I hope). I was explaining to bogatabeav that the antipathy expressed toward Ford was not because of his substance abuse problems, but because of the actual harm he did.

2 Likes

And she’s married. Damn!

2 Likes

No “Lovable Bumblefuck?”

2 Likes

Sort of the Canadian Bitcoin. Untraceable, exchangeable for tools, ammunition, plumbing fixtures, et al.The amount pictured would easily buy a jug of washer fluid.

9 Likes

Not around here. “Laughable Bumblefuck”

8 Likes

Untold wealth, in the Northern Lands!

4 Likes

In Game of Thrones, it’s the currency of The White Walkers.

5 Likes

Winter is coming. I’m saving up for a snowmobile suit.

4 Likes

Okay, umm…

We… acknowledge… his years of… service… to… a portion… of the public?

3 Likes

Wow. That’s the most backhanded offer of condolences I think I’ve ever read. Stay classy.