On the death of Rob Ford

Ford was a politician, and incredibly non-classy even by political standards. This is what many of the condolences will be like.

This is also what Ted Cruz and others will look like endorsing Donald Trump in a few weeks.

1 Like

I hope that this serves as a warning to other young people who may be thinking of quitting crack!

10 Likes

Oh, you wanted a classy tribute befitting of his legacy? Try the gif bank in aisle 4.

4 Likes

Apologies teknocholer, for not being clear. I was referring to Cory’s original post, “My condolences to his family, who deserved a better person in their lives.”

2 Likes

I’m generally all for decorum, but in honor of Rob Ford’s death, I’m dusting off and regifting this tweet that was originally for the passing of Antonin Scalia

17 Likes

This is where I wish Heaven (or Hell) were real and I am a fly on the wall when Rob Ford and Nancy Reagon bump into each other at the salad bar.

1 Like

If this isn’t about ridiculing an addict who was trying to make good and totally about his terrible job as a mayor, then why say his family ‘deserved better’ – they deserved a better mayor?

From Later Life:

In line with his last request, his body was cremated and his ashes were scattered over his Farmington ranch using 16 specially-made fireworks.[10]

3 Likes

All you needed to do was a quick search about his controversies and policies before commenting. That’s all you had to do. One thing.

4 Likes

Policy issues aside: If I knew I was going to die from something like cancer anyways I’d be the crack smokingest heroin sniffingest degenerate I could be up until the last moment.

2 Likes

A brief google search found these three links for you:
On the death of Rob Ford and mourning abusive men
Rob Ford Died Before He Could Make Amends
ROBERT BRUCE FORD (1969-2016): A EULOGY
If you need more it really isn’t hard to find other reasons why some here are responding the way they are about Rob Ford’s death.

9 Likes

And you’re not doing so anyway? What a wasted opportunity :slight_smile:

1 Like

How easy to condemn and / or dismiss the man. Good thing we’re all perfect.
Yes, Rob Ford was a deeply flawed human being.
But he was not evil, greedy or corrupt.
He never spent public money when he could use his own.
He never went on junket trips paid for by tax payers.
He tried his best to reduce the over spending (gravy) by other politicians.
Even as mayor he returned phone calls from constituents.
He may not have been a sophisticated man about town but he absolutely LOVED Toronto.
He was very much a man of the people and I am very sad to see him go.

Yeah, I could look up biased blogs for plenty of firepower. No one asked you to respect the guy, just not celebrate his death. It’s not for him, but his family.

1 Like

<a href=>Classy, all day, every day.

What are the comments Beaulieu is referring to? In a video publicly released in January, a drunken Ford is heard derogatorily calling Police Chief Bill Blair a homophobic slur. Ford also allegedly called Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau a "fag" in a crack video viewed by Toronto Star journalists last year.

A couple bonus quotes from the Ford archives:

He said in 2005, “I don’t understand a transgender. I don’t understand: is it a guy dressed up like a girl or a girl dressed up like a guy?”
He said in 2006, “If you’re not doing needles and you’re not gay, you won’t get AIDS probably.”

Suuuuuper classy. Super-duper classy.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty fucking easy. The man was a walking disaster who brought damage wherever he went.

So long as you define evil in a special way that precludes abusive narcissistic racist assholes who stomped on the poor, the downtrodden, and the needy to get a leg up on their career so they could afford to go on another binge as not evil, who used their position of power to spout racist homophobic slurs to appeal to the basest of the crowd, who publicly humiliated their wife for entertainment and beat the crap out of her at home while sexually harassing other women around him and lording his infidelities over his wife as yet another form of spousal abuse, whose relationship as mayor of Toronto was the same as his relationship to his wife, along with many other abusive, cruel, ugly behaviors as not evil, he wasn’t evil. But nobody does, and the man was evil. His greed was uniquely pure and self evident. He wasn’t corrupt so long as corruption, fraud, and extortion aren’t corruption, but again he was totally corrupt to the core.

Certainly I wish he’d lived so he could see the error of his ways, recognize nothing he could do could ever make up for the massive sea of wrongs he committed, and struggled in a long life of trying anyway. But let’s face it, he was a man without a scrap of scruples, integrity, or moral fiber who would have carried on abusing everyone and everything around him for personal gain, and the world’s better off with him gone.

I think it’s a terrible wrong to speak ill of the dead in one’s family, and also those who were regular people. But frankly, it’s a goddamn moral crime to not speak ill of those who in their life got into positions of power and massively abused that power, ruining people’s lives and Godzilla stomping their way over anyone and everyone they could. While alive they could and would use their power to quash others criticisms (as Ford did with spurious libel lawsuits), now we’re all better off free to condemn the moral crime that was his life.

10 Likes

I like that his family wealth is somehow counted as a boon to the city as some sort of positive virtue!

So many people just LOVED that Rob or Doug wouldn’t spend their allocated office budgets on office supplies, instead buying everything themselves out of pocket and then refusing to disclose how much they spent… because thats what you want, rich dudes unaccountable to anyone artificially lowering the budget of their offices. That won’t fuck up the next elected person, or future budgets and its totally normal and accepted accounting practices and totally legal! Totally! Totes mcgoats!

Math is hard!

8 Likes

She’d go go flying ass over teacup.

2 Likes

I was just taking a deep breath and wondering how to reply to CliffG59’s hagiography, or if it was even worth it. You saved me the trouble and said it better. Thank you.

4 Likes

Or in the case of “saving” money by starving the city of revenue, total bullshit.

3 Likes