On the illegality of saying "I want to kill the President of the United States of America"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/on-the-illegality-of-saying.html

3 Likes

Yet it’s Ok for a presidential candidate to say that he could shoot somebody in Times Square.

25 Likes

The Secret Service isn’t watching over “somebody.”

8 Likes

Fascism has been creeping in for a good long time.

As much as I despise this POTUS. I don’t think it’s fascism to be concerned or even perhaps a tad defensive to potential threats to the office of the president and their person.

It wasn’t ok when some redneck hillbilly racist said “I wanna kill Obama” and it’s not ok to say it about This ass clown.

It’s not fascism.

15 Likes

The State did it better

4 Likes

Expressing desire is different from expressing intent; not being able to tell the difference, or being unwilling to, is in an individual a bad sign.
In a government, it is much worse.

Anything that cuts into people’s ability to speak, without good reason, is supporting fascism, and madness. This may be small, but it is important.

6 Likes

God damn I miss “The Whitest Kids U’ Know”. Their shit was hilarious.

One of my faves:

Relevant even more today?

6 Likes

I don’t think that’s really what’s happening though. Making a statement about wanting to kill the president, gets you a nice visit from the Secret Service. It is then up to them to determine if you are a threat or not.

3 Likes

This.

And to Ben honest I am not really ok with anyone saying “I want [insert name here] killed”.

While I understand some folks feeling that it is freedom of speech. I consider it much like yelling FIRE in a movie theater. It is not wise. Not helpful. And most likely getting someone hurt.

When it comes to 45. Yes I think the world is better off without him. But my words are “I want him out of office”. Not the former. I think that oversteps sensible bounds and like I said above. That is not fascism in my book. But that person can believe whatever they wish.

3 Likes

The Whitest Kids U Know recorded that sketch long before Trump took office. They actually had a whole series of comedic takes on Presidential assassinations, including at least two or three versions of how Booth killed Lincoln.

1 Like

Thanks for informing me of something I already knew.

You gotta stop mentioning cool things with out linking to them:

4 Likes

I would not mind if the man died in office from a stroke, choking on a well done steak, accidentally walking into a hole which looks like an artwork, nasty infection from colon boring parasites, or a host of other harms to befall him either.

Not saying I want to kill the man, but I would not mind if he met a painful and unpleasant end somehow.

6 Likes

[insert THIS gif]

1 Like

That sounds like something someone would say that is investigating it for a novel that that person is writing.

1 Like
4 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

I also liked the one about the incompetent bodyguard who can’t keep Booth out of the balcony.

1 Like