On Trump and totalitarianism

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/30/on-trump-and-totalitarianism.html

1 Like

I think each person will always have that impulse to scoop up the toys and tell the other children how to play with them the right way.

The trouble is, large groups of people fail to see the worth of other opinions, and thus glom onto the real monsters in the hope of pressing some part of their own perspective into the world.

I’m referring to drumpf supporters, here.

5 Likes

55 Likes

Proud Hemulin of the Moomin Co-prosperity Sphere!

I think it’s a little ironic that the only part of the continent the Smurfs couldn’t smurf was their fellow low country.

12 Likes

Fukkin gnomes…

7 Likes

I know right? little bastards are so destructive and get into everything; they really belong in the horde.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant! Did you create that?

4 Likes

Oglaf (often NSFW)

26 Likes

Oglaf! Yes!!!

3 Likes

Yet always hilarious.

7 Likes

Shouldn’t it be blue?

6 Likes

How did the Wombles get control of Airstrip One?

This is double-plus-ungood…

6 Likes

We are all Hemulins now.

5 Likes

Once I have stolen it, it will not matter who created it.

6 Likes

Fortunately, the anarchist leaders H.R. Pufnstuf and The Banana Splits managed to slow the influence on the U.S. by these invaders during the late '60s and early '70s.

5 Likes

Serious question, but surely other European countries had their “mid-century gnome-like childrens’ book creatures who provide sociological insight to the host culture” along these lines.

I figure that since Belgium, Netherlands, UK and Scandinavia had it going on, others must have. Though I suppose that cluster of countries is quite homogeously northern european.

6 Likes

Belgium (smurfs): Dream of communism, utterly despise women, completely subject to greater powers but struggle on.

Netherlands (gnomes): Live in harmony with nature, eat a lot, damn I wish we weren’t so tall.

Moomin (finnish): Live a life of mundane yet slightly spooky adventure in adorable woodframe residences. Also worry a lot about Russians

Wombles (england): Let’s be passive-aggressive hippies, recycling things and tutting at outsiders

FRANCE? ITALY?

12 Likes

Babar?

12 Likes

Elves are a particularly Germanic thing… I’m only surprised there isn’t a German entry.

4 Likes

“…But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Totoro.”

10 Likes