One of the weirdest videos of the 80s

Originally published at: One of the weirdest videos of the 80s | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Prefab Sprout and ironically self-declared “voice of a generation” Paddy McAloon have been favorites of mine ever since I read the NME one line review of Swoon: “Wine bar music. You can hear the ferns growing”

Paddy is a wizard now
paddy-path

ETA: I consider them to be an honorary Scottish band who were somehow from England, because they are that great

8 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6e3GJCjow

8 Likes

Ah, Prefab Sprout…
A couple of their songs are in my “forever” mix.

6 Likes

No weirder than the average ‘80s Tom Petty video.

7 Likes

True, but far less menacing

5 Likes

I liked him in Forbidden Zone.

What about Lou Reed?

6 Likes

I couldn’t figure out what was off about it until I looked at the trees in the backround. Not a leaf among them. Sadly for the bronzed guy on the diving board they must have filmed it in the depths of winter.

5 Likes

Lou was in a weird place, ok?

4 Likes

Also one of the weirdest videos of the '80s…

7 Likes

What fascinating teeth Paddy McAloon has.

5 Likes

The better to eat you with, my dear

5 Likes

Always kinda dug this song.

6 Likes

This has always been the weirdest, most 80s video to me:

2 Likes

And then there was this MTV gem, which was actually a pretty genius video for a pretty genius song by a pretty genius band:

7 Likes

Trevor Horn is the glue that holds my entire history together, I am pretty sure that without him I would not exist

3 Likes

In the early 1980s when music videos were new and there were no rules was a wild time for the medium.

3 Likes

MTV played videos by THE RESIDENTS because they had no other options. It was the best of times

5 Likes

Tell me you’ve seen this virtuoso live performance of Close to the Edit, played slightly faster than the studio version. Trevor Horn crushes the bass line live!

Can I just say that I love Anne?

Yes, of course I know this

1 Like