One year ago today, first tweet on 'mystery pneumonia' in Wuhan, China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/30/one-year-ago-today-first-tweet-on-mystery-pneumonia-in-wuhan-china.html

6 Likes

2020 was a long decade.

20 Likes

Again, “Mommy, why didn’t they stop the airplanes?”

11 Likes

What a long, STUPID trip it’s been.

16 Likes

First BoingBoing appearance that I could find.

12 Likes

Today, December 30, 2020, the number of Americans confirmed dead from the global COVID-19 pandemic stands at 350,000, and counting.

Every time I read that number I remember that the current White House administration gave orders to under-count COVID cases by ignoring deaths with previous medical problems and just not testing enough people to get the number of infected down.
Will the next administration reverse those orders? If Biden does, that could uncover the true horrors of Trump’s coronavirus criminal incompetence, but that would carve in stone USA’s reputation as the worst healthcare system in the world.
I think we will have a collective shudder just like the one at the end of WW2 in Europe, when the true horrors of what was going on with Holocaust was uncovered. And just like with the Holocaust, the same people will deny that such atrocity ever happened, no matter how many millions peoples lay in their graves…

7 Likes

are we looping back to the beginning now

2 Likes

Indeed, a third of a million announced dead is just staggering.

3 Likes

And props to @zuludaddy for the only prescient comment in the accompanying BBS thread.

4 Likes

[My sister is a srs bznz epidemiologist, so thanks to her I had an understanding of what might possibly happen before shit hit fan. E.g., she knew the US early warning system, which had had virologists in labs in Wuhan and around the world monitoring the situation, was phased out under the current administration, before the virus emerged in the Fall of '19.

And here we are.]

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.