Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Good information, but it doesn’t take into account the fact that, if everyone gets it too fast, and there aren’t enough icu beds, all of the intensive care cases, and probably some of the other hospitalized cases, become fatalities.

10 Likes

And does not factor in the non-covid patients who cannot access appropriate care either due to lack of availability, or fear of contagion.

20 Likes

Yeah, that’s in figure 2 … the little red line near the bottom of the graph is the total capacity of ICU beds and the peaks show the massive overload depending on which mitigation strategy the government tries to follow

fortunately they’ve decided that none of these options is acceptable, and they’re going to try to suppress the epidemic rather than accept half or quarter of a million deaths

11 Likes

Just continuing the subthread about NSAID’s

Specifically, I didn’t know if we’re supposed to stop taking aspirin, and I still don’t

5 Likes

I’ve never liked the helicopter mentality. I, too, grew up in that era, and it was no big deal for parents to leave older kids. I think I was about 9 or 10 as well when my folks considered me old enough for that, and I also have an older sister.

I’ve no doubt said it before, but (pandemics excepted) kids around here are routinely out and about on bikes and skateboards in my area, whenever the weather is good. I found it very heartwarming last year to see a boy on his bike, on his own, riding down a bike trail in my area - with a fishing pole sticking out of his bag. We need more of that kind of spirit.

13 Likes

I’ve found acetominophen does little or nothing for headaches (but fortunately I don’t get them often). Would that have any impact on its antipyretic properties?

3 Likes

God damn that looks ominous. Any chance of raising the red line by stepping up production of ventilators?

At least that line shows available beds until mid-april, so if everyone except those working in essential industries goes full shut-in now, and doesn’t leave their house until September, we ought to be kind of ok. Not that that’s necessarily a plausible scenario.

3 Likes

I’m curious to know if they’re already manufacturing large quantities of the same vaccine that they’re currently testing to have at the ready for mass dissemination if and when the various trials are successful? It would be a big expense with no guaranteed payoff, but probably worth it.

5 Likes
7 Likes

“I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!”

16 Likes
8 Likes

I’m in much the same boat. Fortunately, I have some wonderful neighbors, and I certainly have friends among my musical groups.

8 Likes

I went to the chemist yesterday to get some basic supplies so that I wouldn’t have to go out if I got sick.

When I got home, I realised that the aspirin I bought was the low-dose blood thinner stuff. Aargh.

10 Likes

A spasm of simulated coughing might get them to move. :sunglasses:

7 Likes
9 Likes

The “Do Your Part” aspect is an interesting spin. It’s not wrong, and very much in tune with “Ask not what your country can do for you…” . Quite the pivot from the earlier strategy of denial.

During the press conference today a spokeswoman (I dont know who) commented on how the AIDS crisis was solved through diligent community action (I am not an expert on all things AIDS). Again, they were pitching the solution as one that requires society input, which isn’t wrong.

But it really seems that this pivot will be used later to shift blame from the early inaction and denial by the government. “If only you had stayed home you wouldnt have gotten sick” and all of that.

Unrelated, I logged on to Facebook for the first time in 6 months to check in on some relatives. Holy cow, what a seething pot of denial and disinformation!

12 Likes

That is utterly terrifying. I mean, I have run the numbers, but I am a visual guy and seeing it laid out like that drives home just how screwed we are. damn.

15 Likes

The current mayor of Clearwater, FL:
tumblr_oepyq8Nvv01qa71fyo3_500

12 Likes

Most likely related to anti-inflammatory effect. There is also that fact that the affected pathways are different and YMMV depending on your biochemistry.

12 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up. I kind of suspected that was the case, but I’m not and never will be an M.D. Fortunately, I have both acetominophen and ibuprofen in my medicine cabinet.

6 Likes