Ongoing coronavirus happenings

No clue, but I doubt it. To manufacture vaccines in quantity requires seriously huge factories. Our community hosts the Merck plant that makes HPV vaccine and it is massive. Unlikely any company would sink that investment on a vaccine that has not even passed phase I testing.

14 Likes

That would generally be 81 mg (here, at least. Read your label!) Standard anti-inflammatory dosing is 325-650 mg. You could math that out, but your bottle will not last long!

9 Likes

I had to pick up one last thing at Walgreens this afternoon, and I noticed four storage pods in their parking lot. I guess they’re gearing up.

6 Likes

Cambridge, too. Bagged breakfasts and lunches for all school families that need them. Arranged outside for fairly-spacious pickup (although of course there will be some risk from infected preparers).

As far as I can tell, the schools have the money for the lunches, and they’re paying people on staff, so this seems like a no-brainer country-wide.

13 Likes

100mg/pill for the low-dose Oz stuff. I think I’ll brave one more quick trip into town before raising the drawbridge.

10 Likes

Thay is so funny, I totally thought of Cory when I saw a similar article about the TSA.

3 Likes

Not sure if this was posted yet but jic.

Gates’ Ted talk about how unprepared for this we really are.

5 Likes

What is it with cults refusing to follow sound advice when it comes to viruses hahah

4 Likes
7 Likes

From what I’m seeing, it’s going to get bad, real bad. They’ve shut down the bars, nightclubs etc, told older people to self isolate. As of today they’ve shut down movie theaters and other entertainment, shut down restaurants except for takeout.
Everyone should at this point be staying home unless they have to leave to work, or get needed supplies, but there are so many people out in the stores, and not just shopping for essentials.
I think the response has been 2 steps behind where it should have been from the beginning, partly due to limited and slow testing. The idea is to get ahead of it with the isolation measures, but we keep closing the gates only after there is proof that it’s already passed them. People’s attitude when faced with any of these measures is “I have rights, I am not likely to die from it personally, so the government can’t tell me I shouldn’t go out”
It is looking to me like it’s not going to be slowed down much at all, since within a couple of weeks the only people not exposed will be those who lock their doors now and don’t go out.
Then there is the paradox faxed when imposing the measures: If you do enough, in hindsight, people are going to say it was overkill, it wasn’t that bad. If you do a little less, you will be blamed for the disaster.
This has happened with previous diseases, and with the Y2K computer problems. They wound up not being disasters, precisely due to the heavy efforts put in to stop them, and then people laughingly pointed back at the doomsayers and “wasted money”. These are then used as examples for why we shouldn’t worry about climate change or now coronavirus.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Sorry I gave up on that article. It seemed to make assumptions of good faith actions on the part of the English government which are not sustainable in the face of its actual behaviour. Their policy of drip feeding leaks /flying kites through compliant / symbiotic billionaire media for example was presented as a mere happenstance.

8 Likes

Emergency supplies acquired:

18 Likes

We did a shopping run to get my aunt distilled water for her CPAP. No luck. But this is where having a science background is helpful: I found (surprisingly) ultra-purified water with certified <1 ppm solids and minerals. That’s technically better than grocery-store distilled water. I bought a few liters for her and now I know where to find more.

So here’s a tip for CPAP Happy Mutants: look for ultrapurified water in 1 liter containers if you can’t distill your own.

24 Likes

I stayed in fr two weeks, and went out last Thursday to get supplies, and the stores were still super crowded. Now I’m coming down with a cold.

I’m good for about three weeks, food-wise, and I’m debating whether to just get stuff delivered now or dig my respirator out of the garage for future forays into the plague lands.

10 Likes

Apologies for asking the obvious, but does this mean that good ol’ aspirin [acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)]–not acetaminophen [paracetemol], not ibuprofen–is likewise suspect?

8 Likes

I know that the two factories we use wear masks, gloves and protective clothing, and that was before the outbreak. As a matter of fact, they asked us if we needed masks. So the goods you received from China may be cleaner than what you’d find in a U.S. store.

Side note: We have a small group of people (7) in our office space (easily more than 6 feet from each other) and we’ve been washing hands and wiping surfaces, doors, light switches. That being said, the CEO hasn’t communicated anything and the VP is sure if we just wash our hands we’ll be fine.

I feel like I work for Trump and Pence.

22 Likes

Strictly speaking, there is acetaminophen and then there is everything else (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc etc etc) So yes.

13 Likes

That sounds about right.

I know people working for the census who are packed 50 people into a room, sharing phones and computers. The supervisors are encouraging people to come in even when they call in sick with a cough.

12 Likes

I lay blame for this at the feet of U.S. health insurance industry.

JFC, what an unholy mess. What a read. And to think that Graeme Simpson must have written this while ill makes it all the more awful.

ETA: well, I also blame the Cult45 “presidential” administration, which is utterly beholden to their corporate overlords

18 Likes