Ongoing coronavirus happenings

10 Likes
8 Likes
15 Likes

50% of positive tests were in asymptomatic people. This is why it is hard to control. Stay home, people.

25 Likes

Don’t believe a word out of his lying pie hole. Including “a,” “and,” and “the.”

24 Likes

So, takehomes here, increasing cases in subsahran Africa makes me less hopeful that this thing will show seasonality. The spike in Hong Kong is very distressing, since it was one of the areas that seemed to be doing well on this. And cruise ship passengers, WTF? Better to kill off your elderly contacts?

15 Likes

In this case the filter will be an entire HEPA* vacuum cleaner bag, so I’m hoping the pressure will be enough. I haven’t logged into the site where they’re working on similar projects to see what their results are yet.

* HEPA is sadly a pretty loose term, with companies using commercial bullshytt of why their Genuine HEPA is better than the others’ True HEPA.

7 Likes
9 Likes

In workshop we use 3M 6035 particulate filters - they have very low flow resistance and are cheap. They are P3 rated - equivalent to N100, but connecting blower to them would probably be difficult. 40mm threaded particulate filter would be perfect - it would be really easy to connect both fan and air tube. I use MSA PlexTec P3 filters with Drager gas mask when sanding epoxy (it looks silly, but epoxy composite dust is nasty and shouldn’t get into lungs or eyes):

18 Likes

OMG!!! i am so jealous! I am begging folks in town to make the home made cloth masks! :mask:

15 Likes

I heard it was mostly people coming (home?) from other countries that caused that. There were reports of at least 3 cases in individuals arriving to China from my country.

5 Likes

I’m really sad to hear that. From what I see, even here in Poland nearly all protective equipment is sold out, even military surplus is either sold out or costs 5x more than usual.
3M 6800 full-face masks are still available, but at 2x normal price (it’s still worth it in my opinion - it can be comfortably worn for whole day with P3/N100 filters).

7 Likes
9 Likes

Here in Hungary there’s not only no protective equpiment, there’s no hand sanitizers and there’s a shortage of disinfectants… even in hospitals. We don’t even do any testing aside of people with very obviously suspicious symptoms I suspect because there’s not enough labs and experts to handle them. (The “operative task force” went on record saying “no tests will stop the virus from spreading, so let’s not divert attention on that”…) The govt basically let the public healthcare system rot away in the past 10 years, and now most healthcare workers are treating people without equipment. Oh, and people are still allowed to roam free as they please.

Also, when the leader of the association of healthcare workers complained about masks not being available, the ministry of health went “filthy lies, there’s plenty of masks!” - except, turns out those are the sort of masks that barely protect anyone (the flimsy paper masks). Allegedly there’s a shipment of the real stuff on the way… allegedly.

Even better, the govt’s monetary policy in the past years was “keep the HUF weak” because all the money Fidesz steals is in EUR of course, so the domestic currency being weak against the EUR is boosting their wealth. Guess what happened when the virus hit and the markets went down! The HUF is now reaching historic depths and there’s no sign of it stopping.

Seriously, at this point I’m scared shitless, not even of getting the virus, but of what’s going to happen aside of the inevitable huge outbreak.

9 Likes

Am I doing this right?

11 Likes
14 Likes

If we’re at a point where the CDC are suggesting people use bandannas, might I suggest the Shemagh.

These have been used for millennia in dusty and sandy environments and in my experience of being a motorcycle courier in Dublin in the '90s, they do offer some protection from air pollution (the area around the mouth and nose used to blacken).

I’m not suggesting these things are a replacement for P1, P2, P3 or an N95 mask, but they would offer some protection, probably better than a bandanna. When new, they feel pretty much like a bandanna but once they’ve been washed and worn for a bit, the fibres soften and unravel and become thicker and woollier.

They can be tied in a way to preclude air being drawn in from the top and under the chin.

Also, they have a certain post-apocalyptic flair…

0000000000surplus_us_fieldjacket _m65_blackcamo_22

8 Likes

I think that someone who actually knows Welsh ought to recast the old hymn “Calon Lân” (Clean Heart) as “Dwylo Glân” (Clean Hands).

So the US isn’t the only country with a national anthem that uses a drinking song as its melody. I wonder what other countries have done likewise?

8 Likes

That will show those pathetic strings of rna

5 Likes

I feel this sentiment pretty much every day now…

heathers-wrong-time-human-being

But then again, I’m a historian, so I know that many other times would not be great either.

28 Likes