Ongoing coronavirus happenings

5 Likes

This is a great idea! It seems like it will work well.

Incidentally, back when I was working as an RA for a labor archivist, she was building a new collection of oral histories with nurses from a local hospital and now defunct nursing program. Changing at work used to be the standard for nurses (in those old school white uniforms). Wearing it out was prohibited, and they could only take it out to get it cleaned. Otherwise, you arrive in street clothes and change into your clean and starched uniform. One interviewee noted that they were concerned about people wearing scrubs home, since they can come into contact with all sorts of things between the office/hospital and home.

19 Likes

Yep, this is where we are. Good advice.

9 Likes

Is she still stuck to the cold handle?

I went early to the supermarket to get some toilet paper. There wasn’t much left but I got a package of six, yes! (3/customer limit.)

When I put my cart away, the cart in front had a can of beer tucked under the child seat/small rack. They can’t sell beer before 9am (can’t even ring it in), so I think someone tried and everyone missed that one when taking them out at the cashier. (New carts, so people aren’t used to that design flaw yet.) I thought of taking it back in, but they’d probably just have to dispose of it. So… FREE BEER!

14 Likes

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-asks-states-withhold-030710001.html

Gee I wonder why…

10 Likes

Hey, @Mindysan33, here’s how you can spend the lockdown! Become the historian that future historians quote to explain how the most powerful nation in the world could fuck this up so badly, in so many ways!

32 Likes
9 Likes

Estonia.

1 Like

Johnson did not shy away from that kind of calculus in an interview with me Tuesday.

“I’m not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it’s obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population,” he said.

“But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this. But we don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It’s a risk we accept so we can move about. We don’t shut down our economies because tens of thousands of people die from the common flu,” Johnson said.

Johnson acknowledged that coronavirus has a far higher fatality rate than the seasonal flu, but said, “getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population (and) I think probably far less,” he said.

There’s a lot wrong with that statement, starting with the fact that Senator Johnson apparently doesn’t understand how a CFR is calculated. But if Senator Johnson thinks the CFR applies to our entire population, then he is characterizing a potential 12 million deaths as acceptable losses that we will “move beyond.”

Also, fuck this guy:

Edited to add to the quote.

21 Likes
20 Likes

I would expect nothing less from him than ratcheting up the rhetoric about how money>people at every opportunity. Fuck him and fuck Republicans. They got us into this mess and the only way we are getting out of it is with science.

11 Likes

I have been helping/hurting my sanity by checking the coronavirus numbers. Ohio is slowly rising, compared to other states that didn’t essentially shut down this past week.
As I am reminding everyone I talk to, if nothing happens, it worked. (And wash your damned hands!)

14 Likes
10 Likes

If you wear goggles with it, it may be a good idea to pull it up so it goes a bit between lower part of goggles and face - the place around nose has the worst seal.

7 Likes

This is why I’ve limited my shopping to just the minimum amount. Oddly, no one was buying bananas in my area. All the stock that was being put up was green. Took two bunches. It’s wild how much people think they need until they rifle through their shelves. I have like around… 15 lbs of all purpose white flour. I guess I’m making a truck ton of bread (got yeast, butter, and everything else).

11 Likes

So true.

Fuck all these calls to prayer and other forms of ignorance.

ScienceDrink

19 Likes

or, Late Stage Capitalism Forced to Backpedal Because: Reasons

The company first hiked the price of a 50-pill bottle of 250-milligram tablets to $383.08 in December 2019, according to the Elsevier database. Following the price reduction, the company will now charge $193.61 for the same quantity — roughly the same as its price before December.

Rising Pharmaceuticals’ price cut also comes as the drug giant Bayer announced it would donate 3 million tablets of chloroquine phosphate to the U.S. government.

The company’s price hike capped a tumultuous 2019 for the Rising Pharmaceuticals [New Jersey, U.S.] brand. In April, its parent company Aceto Pharmaceuticals sold the subsidiary for $15 million as part of a bankruptcy filing. And in early December, the previous management group agreed to pay $3 million in restitution for conspiring to fix the price of a blood pressure drug between 2014 and 2015 — part of a long-running, 44-state investigation of generic drug industry price-fixing.

12 Likes

• Corona Virus = The family of viruses
  • SAR-CoV-2 = The actual virus species
  • Covid-19 = The disease it causes

A bit of a simplification but done for clarity

15 Likes

I am not sure if he understands that the “devastation” he talks about for 1-3% is dead. There is a huge chunk who will be alive and devastated too. But yes, asshole.

27 Likes
6 Likes