Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Thread:

11 Likes

(you might have to open the link in a incognito tab to get past the paywall)

7 Likes

Iā€™d actually be all right with this, if it had a provision that any government officials who even asked to use it for anything other than epidemic response, much less actually do that, be summarily shot. Since their intentions are pure, nobody should have a problem with a provision like that to get everyone on board with it, right?

4 Likes

You need a time machine to contain a virus with a 5 day incubation period and 50-75% asymptomatic infections. Containment has already failed. Any further attempts to ā€œslow the spreadā€ will just hasten a complete economic collapse. At the very least, you might as well open the borders if itā€™s moving freely in the community. It would be nice to still have some airlines flying when things return to normal.

These half-arsed measures are just increasing suffering with no reduction in infection rate. Economic depressions have body counts too.

We need a test to determine who has had the virus and can now safely return to normal with no risk to anyone else.

This is merely the latest in a long line of worst things heā€™s done. If history shows us anything, it is that this is going to be forgotten along with all the other bullshit the stupid, racist, bellicose prick has been doing for the last 4 years. Provoking a war with Iran and lying his way out of it, that was what, 8 weeks ago? I can barely rememberā€¦

The ignorant, pernicious fuck has been expanding the boundaries of acceptable behaviour since the fucking asshole announced he was going to run for office and Most Americans have done fuck all about him.

Remember he said he could murder someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it? Most Americans* fucking voted him in anyway. He was clearly a contender for Worldā€™s Biggest Asshole before he went into politics and now it appears that that that position is fucking uncontested! He is, without compare - The GAOAT!!!

Umā€¦ Iā€™ve lost my train of thoughtā€¦

*I know, I know, most Americans didnā€™t vote for the thick orange bastard

10 Likes

You are Dominic Cummings, and I claim my Ā£5.

No cash, thank you.

13 Likes

These pressers seem to be perfectly timed to when I run errands in the morning so I canā€™t help but listen to them on the radio. I seriously need to stop ā€“ these are beyond infuriating.

I heard Trump spend several minutes pimping chloroquine as the solution to all the COVID-19 problems continually saying how safe it is, and how itā€™s been around for decades, and how we should just try it ā€“ like a sleazy drunkard trying to proposition someone at a bar. Fauci was trying his hardest to throw water on that enthusiasm.

And then Trump cheerleading himself for doing such a great job and how great things will be once we put this behind us.

And then when a reporter asked about congresspeople selling stocks (without naming names), he specifically named Diane Feinstein and when the next reporter said, ā€œwhy didnā€™t you mention Burr and Loeffler?ā€ Trump got all snippy saying, ā€œWHAT ABOUT DIANE FEINSTEIN THE DEMOCRAT???ā€ even though the reporter was asking an additive question. :man_facepalming:

And this was like 15 minutes of listening. I hate this guy so much.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed this in several people and best I can figure is that they have not had much experience with death other than maybe an elderly family member having died relatively easily under normal circumstances. So they have this child like view of death as if itā€™s neat and clean and just the ones who die get impacted. Like itā€™s a numbers thing only and everything else is left intact around it. Like there arenā€™t survivors or that it happens fast and easily and doesnā€™t wreak havoc when unexpected. I can understand why some people could have such a simplistic view. What I donā€™t understand is how society hasnā€™t hammered into their heads that this makes them too naive and inexperienced to have anything of value to say to anyone during a crisis. I donā€™t really know why it frustrates me so much but it really does.

15 Likes

Stand and deliver!

(Without a stiffener across the nose, far worse than even a surgical mask. Aaand it needs washing, badly!)

13 Likes

21 Likes

Meh.

From that link, to the ABC poll link, this:

About the Study

This ABC News/Ipsos Poll was conducted March 11th to 12th, 2020 by Ipsos Public Affairs KnowledgePanelĀ® ā€“ a division of Ipsos. This poll is based on a nationally representative probability sample of 502 general population adults age 18 or older.

IANAM[athematician] but I am not buying this ā€œnationally representative probability sample.ā€

9 Likes

Screencap of the year

25 Likes

Thatā€™s not how it works. The timeline of how people get infected matters tremendously. Have you managed to not see all the information on Flatten the Curve? It spells out the difference between millions of people eventually catching the virus and surviving and millions of people dying.Hereā€™s a link:

21 Likes

Except for, apparently 51% of Americans who now think heā€™s doing enough?

16 Likes

The climate crisis parallels continue. You may recognize the general shape of this graph from a climate context.

I was listening to a professor of economics on PBS NewsHour last night. He was arguing for unprecedented action and enormous government spending of multiple trillions of dollars as investments for a better future in the face of this worldwide crisis. Every single argument he made has been made for the climate crisis but dismissed as impossible.

14 Likes

TFW the need to facepalm overrides ā€œdonā€™t touch your faceā€

12 Likes

Medical Twitter is a fraught place.
I get that. Medicine is a practice. It is not monolithic.

Butā€¦ relying on BuzzFeed and this FitzGerald guy from UPenn? I dunno. :roll_eyes:

Dr. Eric Topol says he does know and heā€™s here to tell us:

7 Likes

hmmmā€¦ so they found 256 americans who thought heā€™s doing a good job? i am suspicious.

6 Likes

If it was done by landline, itā€™s not a huge surprise, given that his supporters tend to skew older, fox viewing, and home during the day with a landlineā€¦

I do hope thatā€™s not the case, that now half of Americans support him, because heā€™s done a shit job and made this worse. People will die because of his inaction and his active spread of disinformation.

15 Likes

15 Likes