Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I worked in food service for nearly a decade, in several states in the U.S.

If I couldn’t get a co-worker to cover my shift when I was ill, most of the restaurants I worked for had managers who told us/me that if my shift was not covered, I’d be fired.

I can’t even begin to count how many times I’d see my co-workers come in sick, really quite ill and symptomatic, to work a full shift or even a double shift.

23 Likes

Universal health care, a $15 minimum wage, publicly funded higher education, affordable child care, and paid leave are looking mighty appealing right about now, ain’t they?

16 Likes

I really hope that the apparent youth resistance to corona stays true, because that’s the last line of defense.

7 Likes

Here’s the thing though. Even one case in RI is sort of a big deal. One of the side effects of being so small is people move about the Entire state on a daily basis. So one infected person can easily spread it around to every corner of the state rapidly.

Maximum effort not required.

I know I’m not the only person to think k it or the first to say it. But I’m starting to get a feeling about this.

2 Likes

Yes! I just went on a two minute rant to the other half about how Canada should be getting the same sort of criticism re: sick leave.

I think I’d been in the workforce 17 years before starting my first job with paid sick leave.

8 Likes
11 Likes

7 Likes

You guys heard about the Korean cult who seem to have infected eachother then fanned out infecting everyone else??

3 Likes

Yeah, it seems to be based on stupidity rather than anything deliberate. (i.e. like nerve-gassing subways or poisoning salad bars.)

7 Likes

“They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!” he continued.

11 Likes

Right?! I could finish the wall tile in the kitchen! And paint all the trim in the house! The big box stores will deliver almost anything!

[I sincerely need about two weeks when I don’t have to run errands or drive a kid around to get some shit done at home.]

9 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus/south-korea-seeks-coronavirus-murder-charges-over-3000-dead-worldwide-idUSKBN20P1LO

9 Likes

Here’s a great idea. We are in the early stages of a global pandemic. Let’s strip health care from millions of people! Freedom!

Fuck.

24 Likes

There’s a lot of focus in our news on that cult, but apparently S Korea also has a lot of cases because it’s testing a lot of people.

Maybe US numbers are low not because they’re actually low, but instead because we’ve tested so few people.

17 Likes

bonk bonk on the head!

hey, wait a second … I might have an idea on how to solve a lot of problems with this administration.

2 Likes

China tests and suppresses information, thus skewing the numbers.
The USA just doesn’t test.

5 Likes

So, I happen to be spending some time in Norway, and local health officials had been priding themselves on how under control things were here. Then it was revealed that a doctor at one of the busiest hospitals had picked up the virus while skiing in Italy (apparently medical skiing is a major cause of the disease spreading in Northern Europe) and continued to work for several days, and after this announcement yesterday the shops are now just about out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer:

On Sunday night, state health officials announced that all health care employees in Norway who have been in areas where the Corona virus has spread since February 17 must stay home and away from work for 14 days. The stricter rules affect 280,000 doctors, nurses and other health care workers nationwide.

9 Likes

Florida checking in. Crap.

6 Likes

This seems more critical than ever…

floridabb

But seriously, I’m surprised we’ve not had a case announced here in GA, given Hartsfield-Jackson, our very large international community, and the amount of people from here who regularly travel for business out of the city. We are a major hub of international travel, so I’m guessing someone here has it, and it’s just not been tested for or caught yet.

15 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, please, but on average the elderly rely more on the healthcare system for survival than the youth; furthermore, the republican party relies a lot on the elderly for survival. So what am I missing here, is this some kind of gambit that Trump can trick even more young people to vote for him?

Don’t mean to go off topic, but if this virus blossoms as badly as we fear, fewer older people are going to the polls in November than expected.

2 Likes