Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Given that locking people up together is counter productive right now - just charge rich people more.

13 Likes

Holy shit, what an immoral evil bastard! I guess his gut knows more about this than the eggheads, er, experts. I feel for any Mississippians out there. Your government wants you dead.

18 Likes

The Globe & Mail is a center-right paper. (Canadian right as opposed to Postmediaā€™s American right of center.)

12 Likes

Thread:

18 Likes

I live in Helsinki so my movements are restricted to 9 568 kmĀ² (5945 square miles or about half of size of Wales). If my dumbass dad is going to continue to go make firewood I will break this qurantiene.

7 Likes

Non sequitur. Iā€™m not saying this guy is basically a fascist, I am saying that him saying democrats and republicans in Congress are basically the same in this crisis is fucking ridiculous.

I would have thought an actual communist wouldnā€™t be about ā€œpayingā€ ā€œworkersā€ in this situation, but setting up mass food and necessities distribution systems for free, regardless of if someone is a worker or not, though. Basic capacity constraints would also probably scotch any ideas of ā€œhealthcare for allā€, so some kind of rationing system should be set up for when the peak hits.

If his reaction to all of this is to turn ā€œrepublicans plotting to kill millions of peopleā€ into ā€œwell both capitalist parties suck, let us lefties disengage from the democratic processā€ then okay, then for all intents and purposes, heā€™s a fascist. Or maybe just an useful idiot.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Donā€™t let Il Douche get wind of this ā€œscientific finding.ā€

But but but

14 Likes
9 Likes
18 Likes

Go to any GOP congresspersonā€™s twitter feed, guaranteed within 10-15 replies of one of their tweets about COVID-19 there will be someone mentioning that this was a bioengineered virus from China that the deep state is using to tank Trumpā€™s presidency.

13 Likes

Twitter is the autoimmune disease of the body politic.

15 Likes

Oh my god (omg didnā€™t seem emphatic enough)

Image via BusinessInsider
15 Likes

Not even near peak misery. Although with the Dow rebounding for the moment, maybe the pressure to ā€œget back to work and cull the herdā€ will be eased for a little while.

15 Likes

If there is no confidence in how Covid test results will be used then there is in point in testing at all. The countries that seem to be surviving the best are the ones that are testing the most, and test kits like this are supposed to move the UK (and other countries that get them) in that direction.

3 Likes

One damned thing after another dept: when a significant part of the population has weakened lungs and immune systems from COVID-19, and thereā€™s no medical support available, that would be just the time for some other disease to come along, even normal flu.

5 Likes

And today I learned that Big Brother is still on TV in Germany.

1 Like

I read articles like this and realize that my system is actually dealing pretty well (low bar, but still) with this. We switched to requiring scrubs and work shoes (in an ambulatory peds practice, that is pretty weird) a week ago, got eye protection and N95ā€™s (one, to be reused until it falls apart, but still) today, separated well and sick offices last week. And we only have a few cases (confirmed) so far locally. It can be done. Our local hospital (not part of my system) has taken almost the opposite approach, forbidding staff from wearing masks unless dealing with ā€œknown positive patientsā€ (!) so as to "avoid spreading fear in the population. If the population is not afraid, they are not paying attention, damn it!

19 Likes

In other news, Iā€™m ā€œlikedā€ out. Thanks for contributing to this thread!, probably.

16 Likes

Just the thing when you need to check that coronavirus, into the boards eh!

14 Likes