Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Just coming here to post that. Any excuse they can find…

7 Likes

Those last dozen or so posts are pretty dark.

So here’s something kind of nice. It’s nice 'cos it is what it is. A show of appreciation for healthcare workers. At 7pm this evening, people all over Ireland and the UK opened their windows and applauded the health care workers.

But it’s slightly disturbing because it marks the first example of this sort of hero worship I’ve ever seen outside of the 'States. In the US people regularly thank veterans and soldiers and first responders for their service and in the US, that’s normal behaviour. But I don’t think it’s normal for the rest of the world, certainly not for the UK or Ireland.

theguardian.com/world/gallery/2020/mar/26/clap-for-carers-applauding-the-nhs-during-coronavirus-in-pictures?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0-NZibHU1xBZLtvmjL8mBQiVL1qlmF1af9mTu1rxmv9jwHrMZ_AbZTnos#Echobox=1585260880

13 Likes

Tasmanian cases up to 47 now.

Still no detected general community transmission; every one of those 47 was either a recent overseas arrival or a close associate of someone else who was. Mostly off cruise ships.

The government has (mostly) sealed the borders and ordered social distancing measures, but the schools are still open. People around here are worried, but a lot are still acting as if the “stay at home” stuff doesn’t apply to them. One of my neighbours hosted a BBQ with ~20 guests last weekend.

Tasmania has about 500,000 people.

And fifty ventilators.

18 Likes

Everyone in the US is bitching up a storm, but those are some pretty small apartments to be locked in…

2 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

Doesn’t he eat mostly fast food direct from the ‘restaurant’?

9 Likes
19 Likes
9 Likes

Bless his dead little heart.

8 Likes

USA! USA!

13 Likes

I read something about an IMF employee who ignored the virus and quarantine. He unfortunately passed away this week.

I didn’t find any reliable source and that’s why I didn’t decide to post here.

4 Likes

Some good advice here - take your own health into stock before deciding to go somewhere.

8 Likes

This is absolutely not true:

(ETA: the quote is not due to @dorgar, but to a tweet he is quoting)

10 Likes

So wait, I live in a fairly quiet town, with no total shutdown orders. Is it safe to go for a simple walk or bikeride, or not? In terms of breathing in the virus, or breathing it for others out if I happen to be asymptomatic?

I wonder because I hear the virus can linger in the air for 30 minutes, an hour, etc. So like, water droplets people cough out don’t fall pretty quickly to the ground?

5 Likes

Well, that’s unfortunate. I had a hesitation about sharing it without checking, but thought the message was positive. Unfortunate too that quote now makes it look like I said it.

(My thought when I hit send was that it still encourages helpful behaviors.)

Edited to add: That graph is actually in the thread too. The original author claims things have flattened at this point. My first thought is they are basing that idea on too brief a period in the data. In any case, they have made a substantial effort to get people wearing masks, and that is positive.

5 Likes

You know how some people spritz perfume and then walk thru it? Think about that if somebody coughs or sneezes while you pass by…

8 Likes

Right, thus the six-feet rule.

So does it disperse, with viral spikey balls floating in all directions, or do those fall fairly soon to the ground?

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks, interesting. I don’t think it answered my question, but it was interesting.

4 Likes