Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Normally I would just roll my eyes at this, but I will not put anything past this bastardly bug.

9 Likes

That’s the one! Thanks.

Note that they definitely rule out alcohol and chlorine, but also had doubts about EtO and vaporous hydrogen peroxide due to modification of the micro structures of the filter.

“Sterilization” is a word rarely used in these kinds of studies because it is extremely difficult to measure experimentally. The technical definition is 10^6 reduction of the target pathogen, or reduction of one million organisms per sample compared to the control. That’s difficult enough to inoculate a sample with that much bacteria and still recover that much on the control, much less with a virus. The recovered bacteria will grow on their own on a growth medium. Virus recovered from a sample have to be grown in cells or have to be detected directly. Designing an assay that is sensitive down to 10^-6 and still quantified at control levels is crazy difficult. The best I’ve seen is sensitive down to about 5x10^-5

Tl;dr “decontamination” vs “sterilization” is more of a limit of the experimental methods than a limit of the treatment technique.

11 Likes

Well, this is all going extremely well

17 Likes

Takei or Archer? Takei or Archer?

6 Likes

How
presidential.

(remembering what that was like
oh, so long ago.)

19 Likes

Truly a decent human being.

And here his is - just barely out of the hospital after breaking his hip - at 95 years old- thinking of others.

21 Likes

Most of the English 2019-20 football season (everything not in the Premier Leage. EFL and National League) has been cancelled. All the teams that were likely to be promoted are not happy about this.

About the only solution that I can think of is to cancel the 2020-21 season and finish this season next year. It doesn’t solve the problem of contracts expiring at the end of June, but I don’t think there is a legal and ethical solution for that.

14 Likes

St. Jimmy’s gonna do what St. Jimmy’s gonna do.

Long may he live!

16 Likes

Never a huge fan of Newsom, but I certainly don’t envy him now, or what he has to now do for the good of his State.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/gavin-newsom-coronavirus/index.html

One quibble:

Newsom was at the forefront on other progressive issues, including tackling homelessness in San Francisco throughout his tenure as mayor

The only thing he tackled as mayor was his chief of staff’s wife. He ran on a punitive proposition that massively cut funding for homeless with the promise of “services” that never materialized because they were never budgeted.

5 Likes

Putting lie to the phrase “only the good die young”!

He’s the oldest President ever. Eat more peanuts?

14 Likes

Do good things in service to people less fortunate than yourself.

19 Likes

21 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

Lockdown ain’t easy. And that’s without snoring, burping, hair-shedding seals outside your house

12 Likes

https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

2 Likes

It isn’t like the teams at the bottom of the Premier League were going to get relegated quietly. The interconnections between all the leagues – not only promotion and relegation, but also international competitions and the player transfer window – makes this a very complicated proposition. (My wife, a huge Leicester fan, is convinced that this is going to screw Leicester by eliminating their European hopes this year, while by next year all their best players will have been poached by the rich teams.)

In the US we’ve solved this problem by playing our major sports in self-contained bubbles.

4 Likes

Thread:

6 Likes

A Church in the suburbs of Rio opens the door to solidarity.

Parish in Vaz Lobo offers daily meals and bath to help around 50 homeless people. They are asking for donations (groceries, grains meat etc.) to keep their work.

Rio - In the midst of chaos, hope. A Catholic church in the Vaz Lobo neighborhood, in the North Zone of Rio, opts for a path contrary to the pandemic: instead of closing the doors, the temple opened as a form of solidarity.

Every day, in ParĂłquia Cristo Rei, the priests offer lunch, bathing and new clothes for about 50 homeless people that roam in the region.

11 Likes
18 Likes