Ongoing coronavirus happenings

The House passed the relief package; as I’m sure most have heard.

Locally

20 Likes

Stay at home. We don’t want you here. Peace Meadows Park Cemetery.

22 Likes
10 Likes

20 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

26 Likes
18 Likes

Thank you for your in-depth reply.
I am a grateful student here.
Thank you also for your time, and the language you chose so I [we] can understand. I say this as a native English speaker.

Wow.

Detection limits and test sensitivities are something I pay attention to at one of my day jobs (working for environmental engineers). Presence/absence and detect/non-detect data points are what we look at re pollution of soil and water.

And just as it is the rule re water and soil sample data, I can guess that as the test sensitivity for SARS-CoV-2 increases, the amount of time and money to conduct the testing also increases. I get that HCWs don’t have the luxury of time and that cost-benefit curve is A Thing.

Thanks again!

ETA: grammar (again)

14 Likes

De nada. :wink: I’m lucky to work with people smarter and a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but I’m pretty good at translating their work into Human. :slight_smile:

And to clarify about the detection limits, that 5x10^-5 figure is not for coronavirus, it’s for a different virus type. Some of the labs I’ve worked with will quote a reasonable price for 10^4 reduction, an astronomical price for 10^5 reduction, and nopenopenope! for 10^6 when it comes to viruses.

12 Likes

70sshow-kelso-burn

Maybe this John Kerry might have gotten elected in 2004?

20 Likes

I was going to make a joke, but this made me go to his wikipedia page and I can’t actually believe this much of a stereotypical libertarian exists.

8 Likes

Seems like yet another fake. I don’t think anybody should repost these chain letter’s, not even with the notation “grain of salt”. No citation. No link to Johns Hopkins. Nothing.

2 Likes

Aaaaand proper full lock down in ireland announced live on telly now, the day that emergency legislation passed so that they actually can force all businesses to close.

They also have to form a government now. The upper house passed the emergency legislation and announced it is now invalid until a government (which will have to be cross party) is formed.

19 Likes

So… nobody really expected Trump to downplay the epidemic, when he did, right? And to great personal benefit, too. Not only did his polls soar, apparently, but so did the stock market. Must be great trading when you’re the one person in the world, whose words directly impact the stock market, like no one else’s…

1 Like
19 Likes

If you read this - and I recommend you do, despite some undertones I don’t like, especially because they are undertones and not spelled out and reflected upon - then be sure to read the last paragraph, too.

4 Likes

New boomers on the making.

11 Likes