Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Tinley Park once had a large mental hospital as well, but it’s been closed so long that I doubt it could be reopened.

13 Likes

Worst timeline strikes again:

13 Likes
10 Likes

Untitled

7 Likes

Example 1,693 of how Trump & the GOP screwed over their older, rural base

12 Likes

I want to put a warning out for anyone watching the worldometer numbers. There will appear to be improvement in rate of growth yesterday and today. I will point out that last weekend there was a similar “improvement.” I think that what we see here is that while the virus does not take weekends off, some of the data gatherers do. Not trying to quash hope, but we need to stay real.

40 Likes

Waiting for next week’s shitstorm to hit the UK is tense.

20 Likes

The resource also lists where students can get their school Provided meals.

20 Likes

Tips for safe social distancing:

• Spray on lots of intense perfume or body cologne: Poison, Obsession, Axe, Genocide…
  • People will automatically distance themselves from you, keeping everyone safe.
  • Anyone coming closer obviously has no sense of smell. They are a zombie, kill them! They have COVID-19, keep away.
31 Likes

Dude, what the fuck?

9 Likes

Maybe the resident of the White House shouldn’t have been dismissive of how serious this is. This may not stop for her even after she hopefully recovers - she could have limited lung function for the rest of her life.

32 Likes

ItalyUKDeaths
The data is still a bit rough in both cases, but by my reckoning, the UK is about 15 days behind Italy on the deaths curve.

Unless you filter for senior government officials, then the UK pandemic seems to be well and truly ahead of Italy. :thinking:

15 Likes

meanwhile, in the united states

In April 2012, a senior Health and Human Services official testified before Congress that the program was “on schedule to file for market approval in September 2013.” After that, the machines would go into production.

Then everything changed.

The medical device industry was undergoing rapid consolidation, with one company after another merging with or acquiring other makers. Manufacturers wanted to pitch themselves as one-stop shops for hospitals, which were getting bigger, and that meant offering a broader suite of products. In May 2012, Covidien, a large medical device manufacturer, agreed to buy Newport for just over $100 million.

Covidien — a publicly traded company with sales of $12 billion that year — already sold traditional ventilators, but that was only a small part of its multifaceted businesses. In 2012 alone, Covidien bought five other medical device companies, in addition to Newport.

Newport executives and government officials working on the ventilator contract said they immediately noticed a change when Covidien took over. Developing inexpensive portable ventilators no longer seemed like a top priority.

Newport applied in June 2012 for clearance from the Food and Drug Administration to market the device, but two former federal officials said Covidien had demanded additional funding and a higher sales price for the ventilators. The government gave the company an additional $1.4 million, a drop in the bucket for a company Covidien’s size.

Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business.

15 Likes

Agreed. Best I can do for the next coupla days is this:

and it looks like you’re on that thread (yay!).

I’d add his approval of construction/operation of the Keystone XL pipeline over one of the biggest freshwater aquifers in North America–definitely right up there, regrettably. Irreversible contamination would damn untold generations in some far lengthier version of Flint. That pipeline has dumped petroleum twice already.

10 Likes

Is that name a just a coincidence?

2 Likes

which name?

7 Likes

Yes, it’s a coincidence. The name goes back to 2007 when Tyco Healthcare was spun off the conglomerate Tyco International, when the three main Tyco branches scrambled to re-brand after the Kozlowski scandal. Tyco Healthcare was a combination of a huge number of acquisitions, including Kendall, US Surgical, Mallinkrodt, and Puritan Bennett.

Covidien is now under Medtronic.

12 Likes
20 Likes

OMG. Let a hundred conspiracy theories bloom.

9 Likes