Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Sean Hannity warned us shutting down the economy would kill more people than the virus /s

11 Likes

that is probably going to be the spin. i’m guessing it won’t be too long before the cure vs disease meme comes back in strength. :crying_cat_face:

10 Likes
9 Likes

Anything to protect the stock market: Fox News rallies around the idea that social distancing is worse than COVID-19 | Media Matters for America

12 Likes
6 Likes

I wonder who owns these companies and what political ties they have.

14 Likes

While Trump babbles about snake oil, real medical research is ongoing.

That includes the way the novel coronavirus manages to attack and kill cells, which is believed to be by entering a surface receptor on the membrane called ACE2.

Penninger said what APN01 does, in layperson’s terms, is prevent the virus from accessing that door into the cells by putting up a “fake door” to confound it. Testing on engineered replicas of human blood vessels and kidneys grown from stem cells found the drug inhibited the coronavirus load by “a factor of 1,000-5,000,” according to their findings, which were published this week in the journal Cell.

18 Likes

Some of the bigger ones:

Cardinal Health: Michael C. Kaufmann, CEO
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeckaufmann/

McKesson: Brian S. Tyler, CEO

Medline Industries: Charles Mills, CEO

6 Likes

While touting healthcare workers as heroes, the (US, anyway) system is slashing salaries for them:

33 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

Regarding Trump’s Saturday presser: Is Trump going to be able to hold himself together?

The worst coronavirus press conference ever

By Lucian K. Truscott IV [columnist for Salon]

They’ve all been terrible, and they’ve gotten worse almost daily, but the so-called press conference Trump held today was something for the record books.

It was clear from the outset that they had an agenda, and that was to lay the groundwork for a very, very bad week of virus numbers. Even Trump himself said stuff like, “it’s going to be a tough week.” They trotted out Shoulder Scarf to emphasize as strongly as she could that everyone…she even emphasized EVERYONE…should practice social distancing and stay at home. She pointed out that the numbers from the states that did it early…CA, OR, WA…show that it works.

I detected panic in her voice. One reporter asked her for estimates of the numbers of infected and deaths we might see, and she wouldn’t answer. But it was clear that they have models, and she’s seen them, and they scare her…and Trump…shitless. That’s why she’s so desperate to get people to self-isolate and stay out of crowds, etc etc. It fucking works. She’s seen the numbers that prove it.

Trump looked worse than I’ve ever seen him. He could barely hold himself together. He was on the edge of blowing, really hairtrigger stuff. Barely controlled rage. He went off on the Intelligence inspector general he fired like the guy had committed murder, almost screaming about him, lying once more that the whistleblower complaint was a “fake” and that his phone call was “perfect.” What was “perfect” was the whistleblower’s description of the call, of course. Trump ended his tirade by saying “he’s a disgrace and somebody ought to sue his ass.”

Then he went after a female reporter who asked some question, I can’t remember what about, just excoriating her for being nasty, why can’t you ask a nice question. He wouldn’t let it go. On and on. He took another question, and in the middle of the guy asking it, he went back to the female reporter and yelled at her some more. Then he threw one more shot at her a little later.

I think Trump and Shoulder Scarf and Fauci have seen the projections and Trump knows they’re politically poisonous. I think we’re going to see the infected number go over a million, and the number of deaths go up by 10, 20, 30 thousand. It’s going to be a bloodbath. It’s going to become real that several hundred thousand…or more…are going to die, and Trump can’t stand it that he’s the one on the spot. He also can’t stand it that he can’t do anything about the remaining 8 red states that haven’t issued stay at home orders, because that would be somehow admitting that these centers of his base are wrong, or backward or something. He won’t issue a national order, and he won’t even call the governors and say, hey, do yourself and me a favor and get on board. He’d rather kill them, and think of this: they’re his people, the heart and soul of his base.

He’s coming apart in front of our eyes. His body language was jumpy, manic, especially when someone else was talking. He couldn’t stand waiting for them to finish. I think they’re lashing him together with a cocktail of Adderall and Valium or that fast acting anti-anxiety drug Klonopin, and it’s working to get him out there on the stage, but once he’s there under the lights in front of the cameras and the press, even the drugs can’t hold him together.

It was incredible watching and thinking, this man is the president of the United States. Somebody said on FB today that he made Pence look presidential, and he did. That’s how disturbing it was.

33 Likes
23 Likes

China Gives New York 1,000 Ventilators as U.S. Government Continues to Drag Its Feet

22 Likes
16 Likes

Experimental therapy which helps lessen respiratory problems is currently being tested in Lublin, Poland (sorry for Google Translate, but I can’t find English press release, also Polish word “respirator” means “ventilator” in English, and Google translates it wrong):

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fisokolka.eu%2Fkraj-swiat%2F33053-terapia-innowacyjna-u-pacjentow-z-koronawirusem-przyniosla-bardzo-dobry-efekt

What’s interesting is that medication is applied in late stage of infection, when severe respiratory problems start to occur and works by lessening the immune system response. Right now it seemed to drastically improve condition of several patients thus avoiding the necessity of invasive ventilation.

8 Likes

Easter in Norway is a major deal, with 5 days of official holiday (Thursday through Monday), and usually mass exodus to cabins in the north and ski holidays in other countries. With people staying home instead, the supermarkets in Oslo don’t seem to be prepared (the local stores are already out of eggs – plenty of TP though). So, the coronavirus question is whether the increase in infection from family gatherings (which are not being as strongly discouraged as one might expect) will be outweighed by the decrease from all the stores being closed for 5 days.

9 Likes

In Helsinki we still have both.

2 Likes
11 Likes

You don’t have 5 days of egg-based activity on the horizon.

I don’t understand the ongoing shortage of TP in the US and UK. The initial hoarding I expected, since this happens all the time in Hawaii, but at some point stores get resupplied, and by now there should be plenty. Local stores here took a bit longer to restock on pasta, but now there is so much that they are having sales on it.

6 Likes

We only get good friday and easter monday off. AFAIK eggs are for easter sunday or easter monday I don’t know if there are people who follow that rule outside fundamentalists circles.

3 Likes