Ongoing coronavirus happenings

21 Likes

The CDC has not changed its recommendations on killing the virus.

9 Likes

It’s as if a Mob is running things

23 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes

25 Likes

Fascinating how the pandemic is respecting Louisiana’s borders. Seems downright
 polite.

9 Likes

If you own a fitness-tracker, smart watch etc, check this out.

ETA:

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Corona-Datenspende.html

ETA:

1 Like

Southern Hospicefatality

11 Likes

DId anyone suggest otherwise? I assume Finland (where @vermes82 is) has their own guidelines. The blue spirits I’ve been using here in Norway is, according to its MSDS, 90% isopropyl alcohol plus a colorant, which is consistent with both the local guidelines and those from the CDC. It won’t work in place of a gel hand sanitizer because it evaporates too quickly, but it is fine for surface cleaning (as even the methylated spirits the Finnish article warns against ought to be), and because it is isopropyl it is also fine for making DIY wipes for use when you can’t get to soap and water. (I soak a piece of paper towel, lay that on a square of plastic wrap and roll the two together up tightly.)

2 Likes

So this might answer some of the questions that have been asked here. Raises others, of course, but that is what good science does!

20 Likes

No idea what is going on here (BBC just quotes competing claims without shedding much light, though there might not be much to shed), but it sounds unhelpful. On the one hand it sounds as though the EU is lacking for a coordinated response, on the other it sounds like he’s focused on a “cure” over mitigation and management.

7 Likes

An engineer from Rio de Janeiro creates a mobile sink so that homeless people and workers can wash their hands on the streets.

Footballer Marcelo, from the spanish team Real Madrid, sponsored the project and will pay for the installation of 100 units of this contraption.

https://g1.globo.com/rj/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/2020/04/08/engenheira-do-rio-cria-pia-movel-para-que-sem-teto-e-trabalhadores-possam-lavar-as-maos-na-rua.ghtml.

19 Likes

This kind of thing is not all that difficult to reproduce any where. Whether it be public wash basins, vending machines for free face masks, public hand sanitizer dispensers, etc.

I’ve read of a scant few rich patrons contributing to such projects but, it still boggles my mind why more haven’t chipped in.

8 Likes
10 Likes

All the initiatives that I read in the local newspapers were created by ordinary people, even children, who were moved and decided to show solidarity.

15 Likes

In a partnership between the Union of Residents and the Women’s Association of Paraisópolis and the G10 of the Favelas (an institution that brings together leaders from 10 large favelas in Brazil), the “relief program” for the community in the South Zone of São Paulo emerged.

420 “street presidents” were chosen, volunteers who are responsible for taking care of predefined sections of road, each with about 50 houses. The “presidents” are tasked with monitoring whether any residents in their region have symptoms of Covid-19 or whether they need medical attention. Another task is to identify families that are on a reduced income or even without income and are starving.

For medical care, the community hired a team with three ambulances (one being a mobile ICU), two doctors, two nurses and three rescuers, who moved to ParaisĂłpolis 15 days ago.

18 Likes
14 Likes

This is bad.

Some doctors and nurses now say they are being instructed not to speak to journalists and disciplined for doing so or taking action to protect themselves.

22 Likes

This is a fairly common situation nationwide right now. We actually have it far better than most, in that we have enough to get by. We absolutely reuse equipment not meant for it, we use homemade fabric masks to cover our standard ones and try to protect and prolong the usefulness of them. But we have what we need to get by. We are, however, an outpatient pediatric office, and not nearly in as much of a hot zone as the ICU folks. I feel (self-justification notwithstanding) that we can get away with “nonstandard” procedures a bit more safely than they can. Hell, until this started, the idea of masking, gowning, even wearing scrubs, was just not something we did. But as I have said, my ex lost her job working as an RN at the local ED because she refused to work without PPE. They actually went to the extent of confiscating PPE from the department due to “unauthorized” use causing fear among patients. I don’t know about you, but I would worry if I went into an ED where they were not using PPE. The gulf between administration and staff in some places seems unbridgeably wide.

32 Likes