Ongoing coronavirus happenings

16 Likes

Since I made the quote earlier about

It’s only right that I post this addendum,

16 Likes

Nice! I’m stealing that!

9 Likes

Misread as ‘Fireside Sharts’; still laughed.

11 Likes
14 Likes

“daily press griefings”

26 Likes

So apparently even air pollution is now catching the coronavirus:

11 Likes

Press Griefing — Scenes from a Multiverse

Press Beefing (via CSotD)

17 Likes

10 Likes
9 Likes
20 Likes

DAMN, this virus is sooo good at being bad, I can almost admire it!

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/04/26/can-you-have-coronavirus-antibodies-yet-still-be-contagious/24109712/

Short answer, apparently, is “yes.” :persevere:

26 Likes
16 Likes

I am having real trouble reconciling my decades of dislike of Bill Gates, first for Microsoft and then for his incessant interference in education policy, with my gratitude for his public stands on the coronavirus and his commitment of serious Foundation resources to its control.

20 Likes

To avoid crowds of visitors, Japanese parks prune all the beautiful flowers of spring.

20 Likes

:worried:

21 Likes
12 Likes

what has been most glaringly obvious about these protests isn’t the far-right theatrics. It’s that almost everyone marching to end stay-at-home orders is white. And if they do return to “regular life” and refuse to distance themselves, their overt disregard will impact the population most vulnerable to the virus — black people.

It’s easy to dismiss the anti-lockdown protests as business per usual in the land of right-wing Trumpism. But there is a much larger issue at play that existed long before President Donald Trump took office, and that he has learned to artfully exploit. It’s why it’s not surprising that in some areas, protesters waved Confederate flags or held signs that read, “Give me liberty or give me Covid-19.” The protests are symptomatic of the profound presence of whiteness and white supremacy in America.

17 Likes

The Federal University of Roraima (UFRR) promotes the “Let’s all take care of everyone” campaign to combat covid-19. The University together with the Insikiran Institute released a series of videos in indigenous languages, created to take information to native communities about symptoms and ways to prevent the plague.

The videos are narrated in six native languages: Ye’kwana, Wapichana, Macuxi, Yanomami, Taurepang and Pemon.

According to Professor Geraldo Ticianeli, Dean of UFRR, the initiative of the videos is fundamental for Roraima, which is the state with the highest proportional percentage of indigenous people in Brazil. "We cannot refrain from taking information about the pandemic to as many communities as possible. Information and knowledge are the main weapons for the prevention of this disease and UFRR has a social obligation to inform everyone, especially the most vulnerable populations. , like the indigenous ", says Ticianeli.

http://ufrr.br/ultimas-noticias/6287-videos-em-linguas-indigenas-informam-sobre-sintomas-e-formas-de-evitar-a-covid-19

14 Likes

Just for perspective, since here (VA) I keep hearing “keep this in perspective, 0.1% of population infected, etc” early this week, the COVID-19 death toll will exceed, over the course of a few weeks (and keep that in mind!) the total death toll of the Viet Nam war over what, 14 years? And they keep trying to minimize this. I remember the Viet Nam war (yeah, I’m that old) and it was a very fucking big deal! Perspective schmerspective stupid assholes.

30 Likes