Ongoing coronavirus happenings

“Much needed”.

Unless their employer is the kind of ass who demands it and will fire them, and they desperately need the paycheque so as not to starve, no one needs a haircut. And people have done their own nails for centuries.

18 Likes

I think the buzzfeed writer is being sarcastic (at least I hope so)… but yeah, no one NEEDS eyebrow threading (which is what exactly!?!), much less a hair cut or trip to the gym.

7 Likes

i wonder how much “restlessness” this will cause in the rest of the country.

my everyday world is – un/fortunately – somewhat normal, but i know most people are isolated at home, wishing they could go out and about.

i could easily see a “if they’re doing it, why can’t we?” mentality arising. and with testing resources still so relatively low, and with symptoms sometimes taking weeks to appear… the link between states opening up and all of the people who are going to get sick as a result is somewhat broken.

people will see life returning to normal in some parts of the country, but its going to be a while before we see the harm it causes. :crying_cat_face:

[edit]

eyebrow threading (which is what exactly!?!)

plucking out eyebrows by twisting thread around them, instead of using tweezers. creates a nicer line. ( so says my partner )

7 Likes

Yeah, this is going to make people want to go out and feel normal again, but this is going to get people killed…

I seriously have no idea what it is… eyebrow threading, so thanks! Doesn’t seem necessary. Just pluck.

5 Likes

That’s one of my favorite wedding reception dances.

Cha cha real smooth!

3 Likes

oh sure. next you’re going to say we don’t need manis and pedis. you monster you! :wink:

( the influence of the patriarchy on fashion and self-grooming is nigh ineffable. )

10 Likes

Interestingly, at least a couple of those shots were of men at the salon…

4 Likes

it’s only once men take over a profession that it becomes truly professional don’t you know.

cook → chef
nurse → doctor
teacher → professor
manicurist → ??? ( give it time )

also, i really need my nails did. so i’m not one to talk. :cat:

if i were any of the people forced back to work, i would screaming to get customers to wear masks. seeing people at the gym and getting their hair cut without masks… even if we had enough testing and contact tracing to open businesses… which we don’t… masks should be required.

( granted, i say this as one who didn’t realize initially how important masks were at stopping asymptotic transmission. :mask: )

12 Likes

MANicurist. It’s already covered.

14 Likes

ManHandler.

8 Likes
21 Likes

News from this side of the Atlantic:

UK government to start announcing deaths in care homes. They haven’t been included in official figures for England and Wales so far, and their inclusion is expected to bring the totals up by about a third.

Relevant graph by the BBC:

This will still be an underestimate:

With the official death rate being 345 per million in England (the worst hit nation in the UK), an extra third would bring its death rate above Italy, but not quite up to the level of Spain.

For comparison, The USA’s figure is - 174 per million.

EDIT- The source for many of my other figures that aren’t taken from the BBC article is this excellent visualisation of the picture in my nation:

10 Likes

Manscaper.

I wish I’d made that up, and it wasn’t actually a thing.

10 Likes

Today it got real. UVA Health has been hemorrhaging money to the tune of $85 million per month, and has tried very hard to maintain “normal” functioning, but it could not last. Upper management took a 40% pay cut, and physicians took 20% cuts. This goes through the end of July, and will be reevaluated. Nonpatient-facing employees are facing furloughs of up to 3 months. And we are better off (in that UVA has deeper pockets) than many. At least they have not cut nursing and reception staff salaries yet. It will be a long haul before this gets better.

32 Likes

My Like doesn’t mean I’m glad to hear that. Quite the opposite.

I wonder what sort of cuts investors and other bonus-earning top execs will endure.

High time I think to see some solid hemorrhaging of money by those who can actually afford it.

19 Likes
11 Likes

Investor owned and for profit organizations started cutting salaries and positions weeks ago. We were among the last probably (maybe?) due to the lack of profit motive. I’ve said before, profit motive has no place in health care.

28 Likes

I think her point was that it’s still the employees taking the hit, as opposed to the investors.

8 Likes

No doubt! It’s maddening. Infuriating.

12 Likes

Only a couple of customers near the end were wearing masks, which was the thing that really bothered me in those photos until we got to the workout gyms, with absolutely no indication that anything was being wiped down, and of course no masks on despite the close proximity of faces to equipment that would have just been breathed/coughed on by someone else a few minutes prior. My workout place was doing more than that in February, in an abundance of caution! (Which is why I was willing to still go there until early March.)

10 Likes