Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Correct me if I’m wrong, @docosc, but I think UVA Health is a state-run healthcare system and thus a nonprofit. The “investors” are the citizens of Virginia. The highest-ranking executive listed is the President of the university.

10 Likes

Ah. That’s just such a rarity now that I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Assumption retracted.

9 Likes

I could be wrong. There are some very strange public-private arrangements in healthcare, where things that should be public somehow aren’t. But I don’t think that’s the case with UVA.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Award organizers overturned US cinema screening requirement due to new coronavirus pandemic.

10 Likes

even as a non-profit, it still probably gets its money from insurance on a per-usage basis.

other countries estimate usage per year and pay out of a fixed budget. that’s what ive read anyway.

2 Likes

The “Anti-Mask League” sounds like a violent protest movement from Alan Moore’s Watchmen.

18 Likes

strange question, where are the new infections coming from? do we know enough to know?

with everyone ( in theory ) isolating at home now for more than the gestation times, but infections still rising… is that all just failures in isolation by individuals?

4 Likes

A lot of people are not lucky enough to be able to isolate at home. They gotta work. And often, they commute on public transport. Plus, a lot of people are failing in many ways to social distance, or flat out refusing to do so. And when I have to go out, I see a lot of people without masks on.

17 Likes
9 Likes

Not everyone is isolating. 62 million voted fro trump, conservatively lets say 20% of that number, something like 13 million people potentially think this is a hoax.

9 Likes

Plus some people have to go out and buy groceries every so often. (Not everyone has the option to get supplies delivered, especially perishables.) No matter how careful one is, it’s still a risk of infection, and grocery store aisles aren’t exactly configured for social distancing.

(Yes, I went out shopping today-- had to, I was running out of food. Fortunately the majority of people I saw were wearing masks of some sort, and being careful.)

19 Likes
15 Likes

I did!

11 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t wear a mask to go to work, because I drive straight to the office in my car that no one else drives, and straight home afterwards. People in my apartment complex are generally good at social distancing. Same at my office.

If I go to the store, I have one. Why do I choose this method? Because I have one, and they are generally only good for short term, not a full 8 hour work day, and you shouldn’t take them on and off again without washing them.

The store is not designed for social distancing and too many people don’t, plus I don’t know who is going home to who. I am pretty sure I don’t have it, but I will still take precautions if I can’t avoid other people.

I have to go to the store once every two to three weeks. Then I come home, shower, launder everything I am wearing (including a mask) and settle in until I have to leave to either go to work, or go shopping again (now that I am on a two week versus four week rotation I am going to try to time my shopping days for the last day of work).

So, yeah, you may see me without a mask, but I am usually transiting to or from a social distanced zone (ie my apartment, office or car).

Sadly, some people don’t even have that option. The majority of people who are going to get infected are not the wannabe slave boss assholes, but people who aren’t being given a choice. People say the virus is an equalizer that doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, but reality doesn’t bear that out.

21 Likes

My spouse happened to put herself through college by working at Supercuts and now I’m flaunting my ability to get bi-weekly haircuts like I’m a Rockefeller or something.

22 Likes

Mine was a DIY #4 buzzcut.

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/grogsgamut/status/1255320814645325824?s=21

13 Likes

But I bet you just did it yourself, yeah?

Hey, do you guys think the flowbee is now popular?

8 Likes