Ongoing coronavirus happenings

(Naturally the troll army jumped right on this.)

16 Likes

Interesting experience at Lowe’s today. Customers varied wildly in mask usage, but employees had a very distinct pattern. White employees were masked, black and Hispanic (appearing) employees were not. Small and very very non-scientific sampling and all, but at least on this trip there were no exceptions. Wrote it off as weird but still bugged me. Is this really where we are?

17 Likes

My surreal retail experience today was at Aldi. Maybe half the customers wore masks, down from almost all the week before, before the loosening of the stay at home order. All the employees did, and cashiers had plexiglass shields between them and customers.
Several elderly customers there were struggling with their masks. They all looked like paper masks they had gotten somewhere else, maybe a doctor’s office, and were reusing. One woman kept taking hers on and off; she had a low cough and did not appear well at all.
An unmasked mother with 4- or 5-month-old infant mouthing on the handle of the shopping cart was actively encouraging the elderly customers to interact with her child: “Come say hello! She loves people!” Including the old lady with the cough.
And a meth mouth “gentleman” was lecturing the cashier about how she really shouldn’t be wearing a mask or hiding behind the plexiglass because it’s all a big media hoax.
I’m sad and scared tonight.

26 Likes

I’m sad and scared too.

Us USians are in an idiocracy that seems much less stable than the one in that documentary, Idiocracy.

12 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

Had this occurred to someone in the Trump Organization as a business opportunity they would sell those.
And there would be people who would buy them.

5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Don’t listen to him Pele

8 Likes
6 Likes

Turns out the death boat industry is still limping around

8 Likes

There’s single rooms sitting there but denied to them?

Mutiny.

Figure out who’s most important to keep the ship running and/or especially vulnerable and give them priority. Throw anyone who doesn’t like it overboard.

6 Likes

About 2% of Moscow residents — or more than 250,000 people — have the coronavirus, the mayor of the Russian capital said on Saturday, citing test results.

7 Likes

Berlin Mayday protestors completely ignore Covid 19 laws and distancing requirements.

6 Likes

Sweden has decided it isn’t going to issue a cell phone app:

BTW, the article includes this plot of Sweden’s R0 values:

I think, if we’re going t have any kind of practical life as we open up in the US, we will have to pay close attention to what Sweden has done.

6 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

But some stadiums were converted into emergency hospitals. Do you remember that show MASH? They had to build military style hospitals, just like the one of the show, in several capitals. How could you play soccer when there a is a hospital in the middle of the field?

11 Likes

This one worries me a bit. I’ve had no other symptoms, so the doctor thinks it was a reaction to the anti-depressant I started before quarantine.
Still, the itchy, spotty palms and torso were a bit scary.

19 Likes